2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia

Posted this in another thread, but here it is again. Enjoy.

WRT dealer network, I think how FIAT is now placed will result in a vastly superior dealer/service network as compared with the past when they were sold with the Maseratis and Ferraris.

In any case, not in my budget in the very near future, but I WILL own one at one point. And BTW, automatic and Alfa, . . . uh uh.

I must have missed the thread where you posted that video, because I've not seen it until just now.

Oh my!

That thing sounded like a beast! It is beautiful to look at too. Wow wow wow wow wow.

The haters just don't get it. There is nothing like driving a car made specifically for enthusiasts. Practicality, reliability, cost of ownership... all meaningless when that winding country road lay wide open before you while you grip the wheel tight with one hand, and the gear shifter with the other. It is visceral. It is beauty. It is art. And it it priceless.

I too have always had a manual transmission, and currently drive one now. I think the manual already exists as an enthusiast's choice in the US, as most cars come with an automatic as a default, and one must select a manual as an option. A very few performance oriented vehicles come with a manual as standard, and almost none come as ONLY a manual. Truth of the matter is that modern automatics are now faster than a stick in most aspects of performance, and things like semi-automatic paddle shift/dual clutch technology is absolutely better in just about every way. There is a reason the current round of track oriented super cars are all paddle shifters.

In the US manual trannies are a dying breed...which means soon no one will be able to steal my car :thu:. This is not the case in Europe though I think. If your goal is go to fast in a straight line a manual will likely slow you down. For race cars it's different. And super cars are kind of race cars. When I bought my Acura it only came in a manual but few cars are like that these days (BRZ is one I think). And most cars here don't seem to even offer a manual without a special build if at all. For me I find a manual gives you more connection to the road. And it is also a lot harder to text while driving a manual which explains why they are predicting them to be completely gone in a few years here....IMO

I had to bring both posts in on this one...

I have driven manuals in most of my cars, hell I got my current Honda Civic in manual for two reasons:

Manual tranny's rock and my wife does not know how to use them so I knew she would not be taking it from me.

Automatics are great for the everyday drive who just wants to get from A-B while talking on the phone, texting, eating, etc...Manuals are for those who like to have the best control of their vehicle while they drive. While I do not drive a powerful car I like the option a manual gives me when I need to use the power I have available.

If I need to go faster, quicker, I bang down a gear and the car doe what I want. If I need to rotate around a corner, I bang down and the car does what I want when I want it.

When I change gears in my Honda I do not need to wait until the computer decides it wants to make that change. I does it when I want it to.

I do agree that the newer semi-auto/manumatics are great options for people like me, but...

Manuals rock and you don't get that bitchin' heel/toe throttle blip with an auto, or even a semi-auto/manmatic, unless it is programmed in (like Nissan/Infinity does).

I wonder how many people out there know how to heel/toe/rev-match any more...

Apparently, this platform will be used for a Dodge Barracuda.

Yeah, Dodge.

The dealers were all in Vegas this week and while the details can't be discussed, the overall concepts have been released.

Yeah, Dodge.

The dealers were all in Vegas this week and while the details can't be discussed, the overall concepts have been released.

Ok so lots of news from the dealer show, some unexpected stuff, stuff we kinda knew was coming and confirmation of other things discussed here. They were told everything shown is 12-24 months out from being on the lots.
Jeep
1. Grand Wagoneer is official as expected and will be going after Land Rover.
2. Wrangler was shown at the end of the show, SM specifically mentioned that it will get at least 30 mpg(diesel, but wasn't specifically mentioned) was announced as a 2017.
3.Grand Cherokee Trackhawk- 700 hp, AWD Hellcat powered, 0-60 in under 3 seconds(2.7).
4. New Subcompact Jeep was shown.
5. New Compass is based off the Renegade platform and looks like a mix of the current version and the Grand Cherokee.

Chrysler
1. New SUV/CUV that's bigger than the Durango(possibly shared with the Grand Wagoneer)
2. T&C- plug in hybrid confirmed, much simpler stow and go. As expected the Grand Caravan is done in the US. It will continue on in Canada and the rest of the world.

Ram
1. New Power Wagon, apparently much more focused than the current model
2. They showed the 2018 Ram and I was told it's going to be a game changer. I'm trying to get more details.

Dodge
1. Durango SRT is official. 6.4 RWD
2. They showed the next gen Charger, much more streamlined and takes cues from the 99 Charger R/T concept
3. They showed a street legal Challenger Drag car with some version of the Hellcat making more than 707.
4. Showed the Dart refresh, no SRT version. AWD will be an option. 300 HP engine will be optional across ALL trim levels. Basically you will be able to get the performance with whatever level of equipment you want instead of having to pay for a R/T or SRT.
5. Brand new Cuda coupe and convertible, smaller than the Challenger with modern styling.

https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/vegas-updates.162001/

Yeah, Dodge.

Yeah, this was something that I failed to mention in my original post about US sales not being nearly as life or death for Alfa as was being suggested.

There was certain to be a Chrysler branded variant coming in right behind that would share the platform and carry the weight of the overhead and production costs. A "Baracuda" that shares 90% of the components on an identical chassis will sell well and further enhance the overall image of the brand. Their sales successes with the Charger and Challenger are proof that the formula, gimmicks aside, works.

With this, the Alfa enthusiasts with cash to burn can revel in the glory of their shiny new Italian monster, and the MOPAR guys can show off their new 'Cuda.

Win/win.

As a long time Alfa fan who somewhat resented that BMW took a great idea from Alfa's late 60's Giulias and kinda stole their thunder with better dealer network and service, that makes me smile. Neener Neener Neener, BMW!

And I will want to save up and get that beautiful Alfa front grill rather than the Mopar variant. Though I do kinda like the look of the current Darts. Just not as well as an Alfa.

Reactions: OGG
When I was a teenager, I lusted after Benjamin Braddock's (Dustin Hoffman's character) AR red Spider convertible in The Graduate.

But I'm not longer a teenager, so I grew out of it.

DSC_9816.jpg

It's hard to even find a Porsche in manual. Sad days, to be sure.

as for the OP...s'aight. looks awfully Beemerish to me. This one though:

alfa-rear-876.jpg

It's hard to even find a Porsche in manual. Sad days, to be sure.

as for the OP...s'aight. looks awfully Beemerish to me.

Hey, Alfa built the sport sedan before round tail beemers, and IMHO did it better. I am glad to see Alfa work toward reclaiming the top slot in the division.

Hey, Alfa built the sport sedan before round tail beemers, and IMHO did it better. I am glad to see Alfa work toward reclaiming the top slot in the division.

That's fine. Just saying that this new offering looks a lot like BMW's current group, and that's what we've been force fed for all these years.

That's fine. Just saying that this new offering looks a lot like BMW's current group, and that's what we've been force fed for all these years.
Yeah, I suppose they could have been more aggressive in style. I wouldn't have minded. But I am sure that they were more conservative this time in anticipation of re-entry into the US. I still think it is a handsome car.

Back