What are you working on this week?

So I got around to starting on Time this weekend. I've got all the bits down, just working on playing them together smoothly. I started on the solo as well and have it basically down. I need to work on the last bit a little more, but I should have it down by the end of the week.

In school for audio engineering and we just moved (I scored 3 rooms plus a little ISO chamber under the stairs for a studio, all with a separate entrance from the main house) so I'm not really practicing other than to keep my chops & repertoire up, but am still noodling around on standards with backing tracks and some solo chord melody arrangements.

I've been playing cello almost exclusively for the past week or so. Just brushing up, learning some new material, focusing on bowing.

I'm subbing in a Bruce Springsteen tribute this weekend and next (not as Bruce), next Tuesday the 9th I'm playing at Lincoln Center, a few local gigs with my cover band, then I start work on a rock musical I'm contracted for through July (the show also runs for 2 weeks at the Adirondack Theater Festival in late July). And squeezing in various gigs with the usual Broadway and rock tours I play in as well, two of which are at Queens Theater in the Park (double-header). And starting rehearsals for a duo with a buddy of mine when I can fit it in.

I'm not making nearly as much as when I had a day job, but I'm playing a LOT and getting some good opportunities out of some of them. So, I'm doing ok for the time being.....idn_smilie

I'm subbing in a Bruce Springsteen tribute this weekend and next (not as Bruce), next Tuesday the 9th I'm playing at Lincoln Center, a few local gigs with my cover band, then I start work on a rock musical I'm contracted for through July (the show also runs for 2 weeks at the Adirondack Theater Festival in late July). And squeezing in various gigs with the usual Broadway and rock tours I play in as well, two of which are at Queens Theater in the Park (double-header). And starting rehearsals for a duo with a buddy of mine when I can fit it in.

I'm not making nearly as much as when I had a day job, but I'm playing a LOT and getting some good opportunities out of some of them. So, I'm doing ok for the time being.....idn_smilie
Its good that you're getting work though. Do you do regular "casual" gigs too? I might have a connection in the area for you.

Yeah, this Broadway thing has really opened some doors for me, and is solely responsible for the upward trend of my musical career of the last several years. As far as "casuals", yeah I do them when they're the right thing for me (they aren't always). Whaddya got?

Yeah, this Broadway thing has really opened some doors for me, and is solely responsible for the upward trend of my musical career of the last several years. As far as "casuals", yeah I do them when they're the right thing for me (they aren't always). Whaddya got?
Are we friends on FB? I can't remember.

Been working on soloing with the Mando along with learning the fretboard better.

As for guitar, saw a Jeff Berlin video that was so cool it is my current focus until I get distracted again. It was funny as my wife said the video was on bass. As I told her it applies to guitar as well.

Also been focus on alot of fingerstyle playing. Trying to get the concepts of chord melody into my playing - dang I feel like a beginner when I do this.

I've been working on memorizing standards and playing changes all week now that the kids are home from school and I have practice time. Here are a few passes on Footprints with the jazz fusion class that I teach:

Finally knuckling down on this show I'm doing in July. [I just wrote a few paragraphs about it, but decided to delete it all]

Good thing I'm getting paid well for it.

Finally knuckling down on this show I'm doing in July. [I just wrote a few paragraphs about it, but decided to delete it all]

Good thing I'm getting paid well for it.
I have a really high paying wedding in July that I have to learn some really crap music for that I've been putting off, too.

Sat down and properly analyzed my technique a while ago...and realized I'm WAAAY too heavy handed with both hands - especially the fretting hand, to the point where it actually hinders what I'm trying to do from time to time. So these days I'm making a conscious effort of correcting that. Loads of legato practicing these days, trying to use as little force as I can get away with. Very time consuming, but needs to be done. :embarrassed:

I'm working on some Charlie Parker today. Au Privave. Making a background track and boom! After the head I start with some Herb Ellis licks I learned,then Wes, Joe Pass licks and Mark Weins blues solo from Truefire lesson #1 and finish it off with my mixolydian/dom 7th/maj pentatonic based improv. Great Sunday afternoon!

I've got the annual staff BBQ this week. Two guitars and a ukulele -- each of us will have two-three songs we sing or do solo. It'll be acoustic numbers and I'll probably do Time by Hootie, closer to free by bodeans, and maybe new shoes from Paolo Nuttini

Back