What are you working on this week?

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
For me I've gotta learn 4-5 fusion tunes for a gig on May 2 and I've been getting a kick out of playing slide so there'll be a bit of that...

I've also been working a bit on my piano chops for something I might have coming up.

This week, in terms of music, I will be chained to the computer and a mountain of synths putting together time-coded sequences with click tracks for some of the more technoish songs we are adding (finally) to our set list.

It's a mind numbing process of digging through thousands of patches looking for just the right sound for each track, before inevitably being forced to create one from scratch. From their, it's a matter of determining which hardware or software synth has the proper architecture to achieve the desired sound.

Then, you get to dissect the song note for note by ear, track by track and make your individual sequences via step recorder, or trying to play it in real time and post quantize it, which never works because the inherent latency causes notes to shift forward or backward. At that point, you can either meticulously line edit the MIDI file by dragging the misplaced notes into the right location, which is fun as a festering anal wart, or you can try again and test your luck.

Good times.

Other than that, ill be working on decimating the public reputation of a horrendously shady new car dealer.

This week, in terms of music, I will be chained to the computer and a mountain of synths putting together time-coded sequences with click tracks for some of the more technoish songs we are adding (finally) to our set list.

It's a mind numbing process of digging through thousands of patches looking for just the right sound for each track, before inevitably being forced to create one from scratch. From their, it's a matter of determining which hardware or software synth has the proper architecture to achieve the desired sound.

Then, you get to dissect the song note for note by ear, track by track and make your individual sequences via step recorder, or trying to play it in real time and post quantize it, which never works because the inherent latency causes notes to shift forward or backward. At that point, you can either meticulously line edit the MIDI file by dragging the misplaced notes into the right location, which is fun as a festering anal wart, or you can try again and test your luck.

Good times.

Haha. I love that shit.

joined a band a few weeks ago. learning their songs, getting ready for our first gig in june. hard rock type of stuff in drop Db. having a lot of fun.

Almost have this memorized.

13709_10153297098662425_6153460532230171214_n.jpg

Mostly butt rock stuff. This for next Monday.

Slow n Easy
Heavy Metal
Love Song
I Stand Alone
Screaming in the Night
Bring it on home
Immigrant song
Stone in love
Anyway you want it
Ramble on

I was messing with the 3rd to 7th relationship in min7, Maj7 and Dom7 chords. Made some strange break through that I never thought but have been playing all the time.

Not too many new songs... just getting the set list dialed in.

We're playing a Harley Davidson Bike Night on Thursday....
Grand opening of a new Irish Pub on Friday...
... and then Saturday a gig at a restaurant that is a converted Theatre.

I'll likely be having a vocal chord transplant the following monday. :embarrassed:

The group I am playing with just added Willin' (Little Feat song) to the set. I decided to learn some pedal steel style licks for the solo. Thank God for YouTube or I'd have no clue.

Just spent an hour running the heads to this song and Chromazone. Almost have them both memorized at tempo.
Mark, are there any particular techniques you use to remember songs or is it just repetition?

I find that I have to play a song so many times to learn it by heart that by the time i can play it I am sick of hearing it. Or is it just my lack of talent or technique?

Last edited:
Mostly butt rock stuff. This for next Monday.

Slow n Easy
Heavy Metal
Love Song
I Stand Alone
Screaming in the Night
Bring it on home
Immigrant song
Stone in love
Anyway you want it
Ramble on
I approve. :thu:

As for me, I just learned God Gave Me You by Blake Shelton for a wedding gig I've got coming up. It's a cheese-o-rama, but damned if it isn't totally stuck in my head now.
Also, It's got a really cool low vocal harmony interval thing that took me a little time to master.
In addition to that, ARENA is putting together a set of Foreigner tunes so we can hit the tribute circuit. So I just finished brushing up Jukebox Hero and learning Head Games. Next up is Long Long Way from Home.

Back