What strings are you using on your steel strings?

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I just put D'Addario Phosphor Bronze on my DV52 and I'm not in love.

10885439_10153004722542425_9085235022418023464_n.jpg

Last few years I've been using Elixers on my acoustics just because they last a long time.
I've been running the DiAdarios on my electrics for the most part. Although I did go back to GHS Boomers on one guitar the other day for old times sake.

Last few years I've been using Elixers on my acoustics just because they last a long time.
I've been running the DiAdarios on my electrics for the most part. Although I did go back to GHS Boomers on one guitar the other day for old times sake.
I'm not really a fan of coated strings...they just don't agree with me I guess.

I string my acoustics depending on use. Bronze for a days recording. Phospher Bronze for a full weekend of nonstop playing. Elixers for when I dont wanna change them for a while. The lightly coated ones aint bad, Nanoweb?

I'm awful. I'll usually buy "bluegrass" gauge sets, but if I don't see them I'll buy whatever. As long as they're not coated strings, they're all right.

I really don't know what the difference is between phosphor-bronze and 80/20 or anything else, and at this point I'm too afraid to ask. I've managed to go 30 years without knowing anything about acoustic guitar strings, so I figure I can safely go the rest of my life in continued ignorance.

I've been happily using D'Addario Phosphor Bronze for many, many years (I've tried lots of alternatives, but always came back), but just recently switched over to the EXPs. Reason being the humidity is really high here and that oxidises strings really quickly if you're not super careful.

Liking the EXPs so far.

John Pearse Phosphor Bronze for the Martin and Taylor.
Elixir 80/20 Polyweb for the Seagull (kills the squeak)
The Guild D4 likes 80/20 - John Pearse if I remember to order it but most of them seem ok on this guitar

<<<I really don't know what the difference is between phosphor-bronze and 80/20 or anything else, and at this point I'm too afraid to ask.>>>

Heres the deal in my experience:

To my ears 80/20 Bronze are the brightest with the sweetest tone when you put em on. They also oxidize, wear out, and go dull the fastest. I have some pretty corrosive sweat compared to some people. 80/20s for me go dull as a doorknob with 8-10 hrs of playing. But I love how a set of Martin or J Pearse 80/20s sound on my D28 when you first string em.

Phosphor Bronze are a little more brassy and harsh (to my ears anyway) than 80/20s when first strung up. But they play in in an hr or two and they last a good deal longer before they go dead. Just jamming for 3-4 hrs once a week, I can usually get close to a month out of a set of phosphor bronze. I usually buy DiAddarios in the enviro pack, but I havnt found much difference in any brand of phosphor bronzes.

Coated strings are the dullest new, comparable to a half worn set of Phosphor Bronze or 80/20s. But they stay the same for months before they get really bad. I've started using them especially for acoustics that dont get regular use. They seem to keep their tone for up to a year or more in the case with very little oxidation. I tried the EXP coated and didn't really care for the tone. Seemed a bit harsh to my ears. I've settled on the lightest coated Elixers, Nanowebs or Polywebs, I forget which is which. I bought several sets a couple of years ago and still have a set or two of them.

<<<I really don't know what the difference is between phosphor-bronze and 80/20 or anything else, and at this point I'm too afraid to ask.>>>

Heres the deal in my experience:

To my ears 80/20 Bronze are the brightest with the sweetest tone when you put em on. They also oxidize, wear out, and go dull the fastest. I have some pretty corrosive sweat compared to some people. 80/20s for me go dull as a doorknob with 8-10 hrs of playing. But I love how a set of Martin or J Pearse 80/20s sound on my D28 when you first string em.

Phosphor Bronze are a little more brassy and harsh (to my ears anyway) than 80/20s when first strung up. But they play in in an hr or two and they last a good deal longer before they go dead. Just jamming for 3-4 hrs once a week, I can usually get close to a month out of a set of phosphor bronze. I usually buy DiAddarios in the enviro pack, but I havnt found much difference in any brand of phosphor bronzes.

Coated strings are the dullest new, comparable to a half worn set of Phosphor Bronze or 80/20s. But they stay the same for months before they get really bad. I've started using them especially for acoustics that dont get regular use. They seem to keep their tone for up to a year or more in the case with very little oxidation. I tried the EXP coated and didn't really care for the tone. Seemed a bit harsh to my ears. I've settled on the lightest coated Elixers, Nanowebs or Polywebs, I forget which is which. I bought several sets a couple of years ago and still have a set or two of them.

Thanks!

I've probably tried all those at one point or another, and the only thing that stayed with me was how dull the coated strings sound. And I never got the long life out of them because I'm pretty rough with a pick.

IW8simF.gif

I've got a couple that I literally haven't changed the strings on in years. One still has the original strings that came with the guitar. The last time I changed strings on two of my acoustics I put on these:

da_prod_ej21_main_2.jpg

Or a gauge up...

I find that I can destroy trad acoustic strings and these sound brighter and last longer. I know this wouldn't fly with any purists, but fick 'em...it works for me.

This is what I used to like on my Dreads and my 5th Avenue:

da_prod_EXP26_main_1.jpg

da_prod_EXP19_main_1.jpg

Still haven't found a set I loved on my 5th Ave Kingpin, but right now I have these on it:

ernie-ball-aluminum-bronze-acoustic-guitar-strings-4.gif

My Martin 0-15 has these right now, but I might try something else when I do my next string change:
stringsandbeyond_2267_554224122

Martin recommends using lights on it, which is not something I'd put on any other acoustic. I suppose a set of Martin strings wouldn't be a bad plan to start with...

The newer Martin Retro series are a Monel blend, kind of like the Tony Rice. I don't know exactly how you like your acoustic to sound, but those might be worth a try.

<<<<I've got a couple that I literally haven't changed the strings on in years. One still has the original strings that came with the guitar. The last time I changed strings on two of my acoustics I put on these:>>>>>>
da_prod_ej21_main_2.jpg

Those are what I just strung the blues box with. Not as loud acoustically as the DiAddarrio Phos Br 12s that came on it, but practically the same gauge.
They work great with the lipstick.
imagejpg1_zps26408ffb.jpg

I tend to pref the warmth of PB over the brightness of 80/20 for the acoustics I've owned.

w/ my current Larrivee, I haven't found anything that sounds better that John Pearse PBs. I've tried a bunch of different ones incluing EB Earthwood, DA EJs, DA EXP, Martin Marquis, Dunlop, DR sunbeams. That said, since I've started w/ tendon/hand problems, I've had a set of Exlir nanoweb PBs on it and while they didn't have 100% of the tone I would like, they are incredibly consistent over a looooong time with repeated use.

Elixirs!

I have a sample set of D'Addario coated phosphors to try.

Mando gets Adamas because of the ball ends and they do sound great.

Back