Mark's Music School Diary.

haha that was my experience as well. I fell pretty squarely in the middle of talent (tech program), but the dichotomy of abilities was interesting.

Had to take two classes of it, and the second was just brutal for some people.

Also had to take a semester of choir, but that was kinda fun despite the mostly cheesy songs.

I did about three months as a piano performance major. My old Korean lady piano teacher was nice but thought she was my mother. The dept. head was nice but I didn't have much to do with him. A lot of the other faculty were total puds. I mostly liked playing the harpsichord. I hadn't played one before that and haven't since.

Grats!

I hated my sight singing classes.

I mean I appreciated the educational value, but ungh. Do you have to sing solo in front of everybody?

The worst part though is having to listen to all the people who should probably have their vocal chords surgically removed for the betterment of humankind.

Accompanying terrible vocal students was the final straw for me. :embarrassed: I had no interest in theory either, so I was doomed from the beginning.

Wow. So I was checking my grades this morning (they aren't officially due until tomorrow but I figured I'd looks) and this is what I have so far:

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 11.41.23 AM.png

I put an email into my Men's Chorus professor asking how I ended up with a C-. It's essentially an attendance grade and I missed one class and left early from a class and a rehearsal. I'm pretty annoyed.

Email sent to professor. His response:
Hi Mark, that doesn't sound right to me, and it's possible that I made a mistake entering the grade. I'll be going in today to do some work at school and I'll check my records to see what I had. If for some reason the C- what is the grade I meant to give you, I'll tell you exactly how it was figured. But I don't recall you missing that much, and your preparation of performance was outstanding. I'll let you know later today. Thanks so much. Dr. Peterson

Hopefully it was just a mistake. The idea of choir tanking my GPA is killing me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Email sent to professor. His response:
Hi Mark, that doesn't sound right to me, and it's possible that I made a mistake entering the grade. I'll be going in today to do some work at school and I'll check my records to see what I had. If for some reason the C- what is the grade I meant to give you, I'll tell you exactly how it was figured. But I don't recall you missing that much, and your preparation of performance was outstanding. I'll let you know later today. Thanks so much. Dr. Peterson

Hopefully it was just a mistake. The idea of choir tanking my GPA is killing me.

Yeah, that C- wouldn't sit right with me either. You've put a lot of work into last semester.
I'm sure he realizes that as an adult student with a family and other responsibilities that shit comes up....

Yeah, that C- wouldn't sit right with me either. You've put a lot of work into last semester.
I'm sure he realizes that as an adult student with a family and other responsibilities that shit comes up....
It's not even that. I don't think I missed enough for any student to get that grade.

Ah:

Whoops. Supposed to be an A. I'll do a grade change form. Sorry. See ya soon. Thanks for your voice and great attitude this semester. Be Well, Dr. P

Apparently either the kid before me or after me in the alphabet didn't show up very much :embarrassed:

A to C- for a semester's grade-entry is no small fuck-up.
I bet he was probably copying from a grade book or spread sheet and was off by a row. I'm glad I caught it but I'm amazed that I got to a school where changes are still done by carrying a piece of paper around campus to collect signatures. Next week I have to do that for my actual admission to the degree program. So much is on the computer system but none of it is connected.

Great work!

I told you a long time ago that older students were always my best students. It must feel good to know you can be an A student in a challenging program. You can forget about all those old demons of not feeling like a great college student.

Back