Mark's Music School Diary.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
It's been a long one!

I started back at the Cal State Fullerton School of Music on Monday. I had transfer student testing last Thursday and I was a little appalled at my results until I realized two things...one of which is that all of the music theory I use on a regular basis has very little to do with Common Practice period composition and analysis (in spite of me having 5 semesters of it nearly 30 years ago). So into the first music theory and musicianship classes I go. I had to take a piano placement test and sweet talked my way into the intermediate-level class with the caveat that I would practice hard to catch up. I didn't realize how fast THAT class would be moving to catch up to. Now I'm practicing piano at least 45 minutes a day. I had to add Mens Chorus to fulfill the large group classical music performing requirement which meets during my kids school pickup time so that started a scramble to get that covered (one is elementary school and one is in middle school so even though they are on the same campus their pickup times are an hour apart).

I ran into another guitarist I had met over the summer who suggested I take the Improvisation I class with him so I went to that and discovered that even though it is supposed to be a freshman level class it was full of seniors and older transfer students so its also a pretty good band to play with twice a week as well as a useful class.

I have to also take a Music Production class which is all about how live music works, a small group combo and my private lessons which are also assigned through the school. My auditions for the jazz performing groups was yesterday afternoon and I couldn't find the prepared portion of the music until someone told me it was mismarked as "tenor" on the department Facebook page so I had very little time to prepare. I ended up largely winging the audition and did well enough that they tried offering me one of the big band spots but I couldn't fit it into my schedule. I'll be playing in the Friday morning Guitar Ensemble which is run by my new private instructor and maybe another small combo if I can fit it in.

While all of this was going on my kids started school Wednesday and we are still trying to clean up and finish the small details of our home renovation and studio build and I have to move out of my temporary office this week as well. I also had strained my right shoulder with all of the painting and reno work that I personally had to do so I'm in a little discomfort there but I think it's going to heal quickly once I don't have to paint, sweep, carry, lift hammer, screw and saw anything for a few days.

In any event, I'm loving going back to school and I need to go start my 9am student.

14088510_10154509366407425_4763521275214690783_n.jpg

I got tired just reading that, not sure how you find the energy but more power to ya and good luck with it all. Did you say 30 years ago you were in college ? man i could not imagine going back to school after that long, (it's been 24 years since I was last in a classroom) :thu:

I got tired just reading that, not sure how you find the energy but more power to ya and good luck with it all. Did you say 30 years ago you were in college ? man i could not imagine going back to school after that long, (it's been 24 years since I was last in a classroom) :thu:
Well, it's definitely a challenge but I want to move on with my career and provide better for my family. Owning a music school for 12 years did very little for my marketability or skill set so it's time to make a push - not just for myself but for my family as well.

My new guitar instructor went back to school a few years older than I am now and he keeps telling me that it was the best thing he ever did, it really turned his career around in multiple ways and that I NEED to do this to completion. It makes me happy to have a mentor who has already done what I'm trying to achieve.

Mark...are you in a degree program? In other words are you taking English, math etc as well as music courses?
I'm also interested in doing something like that but jeez, the whole process seems so daunting.
I have a VERY little bit of college from right after high school but that was a lifetime ago and I'm in my 40's now. I'm curious to know more about what, exactly you're doing...

Good for you, Mark. As I have said (too many times) before, I was 42 when I started college and 50 when I started my Masters degree. It is time consuming and overwhelming at times, but I have never regretted it.

Good on ya, Mark! Reading all the shit you have to do reminds me of why I bailed out of a music major after only a semester. With all the theory, piano, small ensemble, large ensemble, solo lesson, and trying to fit in some GE classes, I never had time to play what I wanted to play. So I switched to English, then went on to get a master's. It was way easier. :wink: I can't imagine starting again now. Give 'em hell, man!

Congrats on going back to school. I have always wanted to go back and get a Master's but that won't happen until retirement if I decide to do that. I would love just do what you are doing again @Mark Wein. Helps to keep the wits sharp as compared to working on your own. I give you credit for it dude!

Mark...are you in a degree program? In other words are you taking English, math etc as well as music courses?
I'm also interested in doing something like that but jeez, the whole process seems so daunting.
I have a VERY little bit of college from right after high school but that was a lifetime ago and I'm in my 40's now. I'm curious to know more about what, exactly you're doing...
Yeah...its a Liberal Arts degree. I have an A.A. degree from my first time around so I have a bunch of the general ed stuff already taken care of but I still have more to do. I'm taking an online class called "American Character" this semester too. This whole thing isn't worth doing unless I have the degree at the end of it. It looks like I'll still need to do three years for my B.A. and then two more for my masters.

Back