Dad Gives 10-Year-Old Daughter a Very Public Lesson in Acting Her Age

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
Good for you dad!!!

a88263d9f80a3e31028f06148a59285befeba626.jpg

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/dad...ter-a-very-public-lesson-in-101261723257.html

I am so glad to have boys. If my kids were girls they’d be on depo-provara from age 10 to age 18.

I have mixed feelings about this. Setting rules and limits I can see, but causing shame and embarrassment is not a way to teach kids.

I agree with you part way. Trying to discipline a 10 year is not the same as was 20+ years and the rules have changed now that social media is available. I don't have answer how to handle this but reasoning with a 10 year old won't do if she is sneaking out of the house either.

There has to be rules, and there has to be consequences. This approach, however, could very well backfire.

This situation happened to the drummer from my Rush tribute some years back. However his daughter was not 10 but 16. She was dating an 18-19 year old and when he set consequences on her actions, she called the cops on him and claimed child abuse. He never even touched her. He had to vacate the premises attend anger management classes while she got to do what she wanted. Her younger sister 14 at the time wondered if she could go and hang with her friends. The older one replied, you can do what you want, dad doesn't live here anymore.

Needless to say a year or two later he and his wife divorced. Don't know happened to the kids or whether they reconciled but the father in the article is making a last ditch effort to make his underaged daughter understand. If you look at the repercussions of what can happen 1) a pregnant 11 year old mother, 2) a young girl who has lost her youth, 3) a torn relationship.

Consequences yes. First off we don't know if she has a smart phone. If so the parents were wrong to having given her that in the first place. I see too many kids today in possession of smart phones. Was the computer at home blocked off to social media sites? I know that for my son he had limited access because I blocked it on the home computer. He got his phone at 16 but it was a pay for minutes phone. As I told him you want something better, you earn your own money and buy it.

We obviously don't know what the other part to the story is but remember that all parents want to give their children the best. Sometimes we give them too much and then take it all for granted.

Consequences yes. First off we don't know if she has a smart phone. If so the parents were wrong to having given her that in the first place. I see too many kids today in possession of smart phones. Was the computer at home blocked off to social media sites? I know that for my son he had limited access because I blocked it on the home computer. He got his phone at 16 but it was a pay for minutes phone. As I told him you want something better, you earn your own money and buy it.

We obviously don't know what the other part to the story is but remember that all parents want to give their children the best. Sometimes we give them too much and then take it all for granted.

Well said MS. More parents should follow your lead. Drives me nuts to see 5 yr olds running around with iPhones and iPads. F'n smart phones and social media....I'm glad they weren't around when my kids were that age. Myspace was the "thing" when my kids were entering their teens, and like you, I had to limit their access quite a bit. It was easier back then since it was all via the community desktop PC.

A lot of parents have a problem with saying "No" to their children, especially when "everyone else has a smart phone". Kids want to grow up too fast (always have) and those things provide easy access to a grown up, and not-so-innocent world.

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings about this. Setting rules and limits I can see, but causing shame and embarrassment is not a way to teach kids.
I'm not big on the shame thing either. I can be quite effective without ruining their lives among their peers.

Reactions: Tig
A lot of parents have a problem with saying "No" to their children, especially when "everyone else has a smart phone". Kids want to grow up too fast (always have) and those things provide easy access to a grown up, and not-so-innocent world.

Exactly!

Society has found that smart phones and tablets are great ways to shut the kid up. While these skills are becoming necessary at later ages, it isn't necessary at 5. Add to it all of the hormones being added to foods hence aiding childrens growth....Oy Vey....

Back