You know when you have to learn a tune and and it becomes a guilty pleasure?

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I have to do a show with the faculty of one of the other conservatories at our school (The "Popular Music" conservatory) and one of the songs they put on the list was this Tal Bachman song:

Now I can't get it out of my head and I'm really looking forward to playing it tomorrow night.

Here is the rest of the show:

This song I've never liked no matter how much of a Lenny Kravitz fan I am:

This has always been a favorite and I'm actually singing it:

Before I found out that I have to use the student backline I started programming sounds for the show and I made a video for the STP sound:

The kids are playing a show called "90's Mix Tape" and the instructors wanted to pick songs that were in that vein that the kids would enjoy as a wrap-up to their tech week. One reason why I'm doing the show with them is because they are short guitar teachers and I'm hoping to pick up some classes next year in their conservatory since most of my current student population is graduating and there won't be as many guitarists in the jazz conservatory for me to teach.

Plus, I'm ACTUALLY a rock guy and it would be nice to teach what I'm good at finally.

Plus, I'm ACTUALLY a rock guy and it would be nice to teach what I'm good at finally.
That'll be refreshing and something to look forward to. Enjoy! :thu:

I'm with ya the Lenny Kravitz song. In fact, he's one of those artists that I should probably like, but has just never done much for me. :shrug:

@Mark Wein

I love that Tal Bachman song.... and I don't know if you guys do Mashups as much as my band does....

But I usually start "Basket Case" with this chorus:

Then transition into Basket Case:

Then I usually throw in some of this (transposed to the key of Basket Case)

but lately I've been just transitioning to this complete song:

He just wants to get way, he wants to fly away...:shrug:

Lenny can do whatever he wants....

.... as long as he doesn't crush our skulls with his ab muscles. :embarrassed:

f59be399aca28120aa89e7744d3ab698

For those who don't know... he's like a month away from turning 57. :facepalm:

His 100 year old corpse will be in better shape than I've been in since my 20's. :embarrassed:

I hated that Lenny song even before Beato told me he autotuned the harmony vocals.

And I like the first few Lenny albums.

Big Lenny fan, not a fan of Fly Away.
You couldn't pay me enough to play Blink 182.
You'll have fun with this. Hope it leads to more rock!

@Mark Wein

I love that Tal Bachman song.... and I don't know if you guys do Mashups as much as my band does....

But I usually start "Basket Case" with this chorus:

Then transition into Basket Case:

Then I usually throw in some of this (transposed to the key of Basket Case)

but lately I've been just transitioning to this complete song:

We do some, but All Star Trio starts this song with us playing the first verse as a Bossa nova with me singing and then we kick into the RAWK with joey taking over the vocals.

Been listening again to the Tal Bachman song, really digging it. I might learn it.

Thanks for introducing it to me!

Last edited:
That Tal Bachman song gets a lot of radio play up here.

It did when it was first released and has recently come back into a lot of the rock stations' playlists.

I like it overall.

Thats my bar gig for next week :)

No problem. I got a text yesterday saying that they were going to drop the song from todays show until I mentioned that I actually had learned it.

I've literally just finished learning it, got the guitar on my lap right now. It's a real nice, straightforward powerpop song, lovely little melodic solo, gonna try and get it added to our set. :thu:

This topic reminded me of several years ago when I had to learn Blake Shelton's God Gave Me You for the wedding band I was playing with. Dissecting it in order to get all the nuances of the guitar and backing vocal parts really made me get into it. I really enjoyed performing it.

Back