Weekend wrap up

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Mellow. Mostly hung out with the family and then went to a blues jam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fri. Got my new EHX B9 in the mail. Hooked it up and played with it. Went out to Devil's Lake for the Friday night fish fry. It was the last night for Trop-acoustic, the duo made up of the local mom&pop owner and one of the teachers. Beach music mostly so it matches the locale. After about 45 minutes we went for a walk along the shore. My wife went wading. Went home and took a nap before work. Usual stuff at work. For some reason nobody booked any bands for August. Stage is dark and quiet.

Sat. Took wife to church and went to GC. Took the scenic route home. Stopped at Wollershiem Winery for the grand opening of their distillery. Got there to late and it was all over. Went home and took a nap. Went to work and drove bus for a wedding. Then kept driving must of the night.

Sun. Went up to the Dells and hung out at a park along the Wisconsin River for a while to cool off. Watched the Ducks, they get out of the river there and get back on the road. Jet boats came by every so often. Lots of tourists and kids on the beach. The tourists have found out there's this little park where you can swim and hang out for free and they're spoiling it.Stopped and got something cold to drink (frozen lemonade) and took the back way home since the main road was bumper to bumper tourists. Took a nap and came to work. Tomorrow my weekend starts. Planning on working on my wifes car on Monday and taking her to the clinic for lazer vein surgery on Tuesday. My weekends are big time fun!

Friday - Worked on my Lap Steel and practice some tunes for a Saturday Night Gig.

Saturday - Bike ride in the morning and then went to a going away party for another musician. A young 18 year old lad who has been attending the OC Blues jams will be attending the Berklee School of Music this fall. I wish the best of luck to Kid Drew!

Scratching Fleas - S.jpg
Kid Drew 2 - S.jpg

A rare thing as well is when I lose 2 strings on an instrument to funk it up!

Randy Bass - S.jpg
Playing the Funk - S.jpg

At night I had a gig to play with Sideways Down in Newport Beach

Sunday - Mrs. Saint friend had a party in San Diego so that I where I spent most of my Sunday day.

We are having floors done this week, so I moved a lot of possessions and building materials over the weekend. Moving all my CDs wore me out.

I am in pain, pain, pain.

Friday, the usual mundane shopping. The 14 year old now wears size 12 shoes! :facepalm: Watched the Astros win.

Saturday, rode 47 miles and the heat only removed a few years from my life expectancy. Watched the Astros lose.

Sunday, rode a very fast 20 miles. I decided to be nice and go shopping with Mrs. T. (Let no good deed go unpunished. :embarrassed:) Watched the Astros win.

Last edited:
Friday - saw Blue Rodeo and The Mandevilles. The Mandevilles really rocked, but the audio kinda sucked.
Blue Rodeo's sound was great. So, I'm guessing things were set up for them and The Mandevilles just had to deal with it. I'll bet their monitors were fine because they didn't stumble. Far from it.
I think I need to listen to them some more. They are pretty much a local rock band that has spent a lot of time in Nashville. That's how I would describe them, too. www.heymandevilles.com.
I kind of hear that 'new country' sound but then I don't hear it.

Saturday - up early and off to MOPARFest. It was HOT. Lots of cars. Ended up just crashing in the hotel room and ordering pizza.

Sunday - up early and back to MOPARfest for day two. HOT again. Even more cars. Took the milk route home instead of the highways. The car ran great all weekend.

Friday - nothing
Saturday - cut down all of the plants around our AC unit, put down some fabric to prevent them from growing back and then mulched around it.
Sunday - Cleaned out the garage.

Friday....trimmed out the garage entry door-frame. Stained and Poly'd. Looks good, in a rustic kind of way.

Saturday.......finished painting the dining room, drank beer, and listened to music. Grilled up some killer hot sausage/pepper/onions on the grill.

Sunday.......recovered from Saturday's beer consumption, cleaned the house. Watched TV.

Friday - Had the day off of work. Drove down to hang out with the GF. She is having problems with the tranny in her Jeep so we got that looked at and ended up bringing it to a transmission place. So she is carless. Helped her run errands. Felt like utter crap after lunch.

Saturday - Drove down to get GF's daughter to her skating lessons then drove them to a rental car place. Did some studying and figured out that I think I am gluten intolerant. Spent the rest of the day at home morning my loss of pizza, breakfast burritos, and craft beer. Went and bought some gluten free craft beer. Not bad at all!

Sunday - Church with #1 daughter. Cleaned the apartment. Almost bought a new acoustic on Reverb.

Friday: Cut grass. Cleaned out workshops and re-arranged stuff, making plans for yard sale and dump transport.
Saturday: Went to see my mom and brother. Did work on stuff/repairs. Drank whiskey and played guitar.
Sunday: Cut brush and worked on chainsaw. Cleaned up kitchen because the floor is being replaced Monday/today. Guy is here now in fact and almost done.

Note: I can understand the dude bringing his kid to with him for the job. Hell it's summer. But he bothers me.

Mainly convalescing...

Dropped by work Saturday morning, hit Alto Music, did some grocery shopping and then crashed for awhile...

Not much else...

Dude. This was a BAD weekend to be playing outdoors in this neck of the woods. Mojo.

The whole state in fact.

Saturday it was hot here so didn't do much. Played acoustic to avoid adding heat to the house by turning on the amp

Sunday it was hotter (high was 104 :zoinks: here). So naturally I went for a bike ride 43 miles decent pace for me. Actually I got up pretty early and walked the dog then left so by the time I got back it was only (only he said rotflmao) about 95F. After lunch again didn't do much. Saw that MF was having an sale on accessories and I was going to need strings soon so I loaded up for all the guitars. But I forgot that I needed Fender thin picks since I like them but always break them. I think I'll try the graphtech picks that I got and I like with the acoustic. They should be thin enough for my liking and they won't break. More acoustic play for the same reason as Sat.

Today is also hot so more acoustic playing today

Friday - Worked at the office, then went home and chilled. I started re-reading Graham Nash's book, Wild Tales. I actually liked it better on the second reading.

Saturday - Had a morning appointment, went home and read and rested. Then I drove 90 minutes to Great Barrington where Carol and I had dinner. Afterward, she went around checking out local places while I went to the Graham Nash concert. This is the first big concert I have been to in about 8 years; it was fantastic. See my report elsewhere. :grin: The had a 90 minute drive home, so I didn't get into bed until about 1:embarrassed:0.

Sunday - Church at 9:30, then to the grocery store. Then a major nap. I also had to go to the office and get a ton of paperwork together to take to the new job for orientation. I was there all day today and have to go back all day Wednesday. At least I am earning money again. :rolleyes:

Dude. This was a BAD weekend to be playing outdoors in this neck of the woods. Mojo.
Add to that the fact that it was in Point Loma, so there were airplanes flying overhead every few minutes.

Got some really bad health news about someone. I think it will be okay in the long run but there is potential for life-ruining tragedy there. I'm really worried and I won't know anything concrete for a long while. Puts my own health worries into pretty stark relief. Also conjures up a lot of regrets.

Boo.

I didn't know I had gotten that call until 3:30 in the morning on Saturday so I waited up until 8:15 to call back. Then I fucked up my computer's sound (there is none) last night and was up til 4 in the morning trying to fix that. This morning my dad calls at 8 wanting a ride because he got in an extremely rare fender bender. A couple days ago I got stung by something huge on my right ring finger and the whole right half of my right hand was swollen pretty good until today.

Fuck a bunch of everything basically.

Last edited:
Back