VINTAGE "BURKE" VERY FIRST (USA) ALUMINUM NECK GUITAR PRE MESSENGER SUPER RARE

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
$%28KGrHqEOKkEE6PK+OTUlBOkoPWikkw%7E%7E60_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130609275725

[h=1]VINTAGE "BURKE" VERY FIRST (USA) ALUMINUM NECK GUITAR PRE MESSENGER SUPER RARE[/h]
**************************************************************************************

THIS IS THE VERY FIRST ALUMINUM NECK ELECTRIC GUITAR MADE IN THE USA

"BURKE" CREATED BY GLEN F. BURKE C-EARLY 1960`S (FORERUNNER TO MESSENGER GUITAR/MUSIC CRAFT) DESIGN PATENTED IN 1961

INCOMPARABLY MORE RARE THAN ANY MESSENGER, DAVOLI/WANDRE, VELENO OR TRAVIS BEAN GUITARS BY FAR. COMPARED TO THESE FOLLOWING BRANDS, BURKE GUITARS WERE ALL ONE OF A KIND "CUSTOM ORDERED" INSTRUMENTS
CONSTRUCTION: THE COMPACT ODD SHAPED (MAPLE?) BODY IS ENTIRELY HOLLOW WITH SUCH DISTINCTIVE ACOUSTIC TONE, AND THE ALUMINUM NECK RUNS ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE BOTTOM STRAP BUTTON. THIS MEANS:THE ENTIRE CENTER OF THIS INSTRUMENT LIKE A CENTER BLOCK (FROM HEADSTOCK, NECK TO THE BOTTOM) IS ALL ALUMINUM!! THE GUITAR WEIGHS EXACTLY 7.8 LBS. ON MY DIGITAL BATHROOM SCALE. THIS IS EXTREMELY LIGHT COMPARED TO THE OTHER MANUFACTURES MENTIONED ABOVE. A VERY WELL MADE INSTRUMENT WITH SUPERIOR CRAFTSMANSHIP & MATERIAL.

NO INSTRUMENT OUT THERE WILL PRODUCE THIS SPECIAL TONE

STUNNING FACTORY DARK METALLIC BURGUNDY FINISH WITH FACTORY CLEAR COAT ON THE GORGEOUS ROSEWOOD FRETBOARD LIKE A RICKENBACKER. THE DESIGN OF THIS ENTIRE INSTRUMENT IS ALSO TRULY UNIQUE AND AMAZING. IT CLEARLY RESEMBLES THE TWIST & BEAUTY OF DAVOLI/WANDRE GUITARS WITH THE MOST UNUSUAL (ALL HAND CUT/MADE) PINK & BLACK SWIRL PICK GUARD!

CONTROLS: ONE MASTER VOLUME & MASTER TONE FOR EACH PICK-UP + 3-WAY SWITCH
VERY UNIQUE PICKGUARD ASSEMBLY: THE ENTIRE PICKGUARD HAS NO SCREW HOLES AND IS MOUNTED ON THE BODY BY THE ENTIRE FOUR POTS & SWITCH GOING THROUGH THE FACTORY ROUTED HOLES ON INSIDE OF THE BODY, THEN ON TO THE PICKGUARD, AND ALL THE CONTROLS ARE SECURED WITH THEIR OWN NUT & WASHER THAT HOLD IT IN PLACE. GET IT?
CONDITION: NO DAMAGE OR REPAIRS, BUT DOES HAVE MANY PAINT CHIPS (ESPECIALLY ON THE TOP/EDGE OF THE HEADSTOCK), SCRATCHES OR SCRAPES,ETC. ALSO HAS SOME BINDING ISSUES: A SMALL PORTION OF THE BINDING REPAIRED & ALSO MISSING ON THE BOTH SIDES OF THE NECK BY THE NUT AREA AND ALSO BY THE VERY LAST FRET BY THE NECK PICK-UP.THERE IS ALSO THREE EXTRA HOLES UNDER EACH PICK-UP WHICH ARE ALL *IDENTICAL* WHICH INDICATES THAT MR. BURKE PROBABLY EXPERIMENTED ON THE PICK-UP LOCATIONS VIA FACTORY. PLEASE SEE ALL THE GIANT SIZE PHOTOS IN FOR EXACT DESCRIPTION, CONDITION AND ORIGINALITY.BUT THESE SMALL ISSUES DOES NOT AFFECT THE PLAYABILITY IN ANYWAY. ALL AROUND, THIS GUITAR IS STILL IN BEAUTIFUL EXCELLENT CONDITION FOR BEING ALMOST A 50 YEAR OLD INSTRUMENT
ALUMINUM NECK: VERY STRAIGHT ON THE BASS SIDE WITH A SLIGHT RELIEF ON THE TREBLE SIDE - IT STILL PLAYS GREAT! THE ACTION AT THIS TIME IS ADJUSTED TO MY PREFERENCE (ACCORDING TO THE ORIGINAL VINTAGE SIZE FRETS), BUT THE ACTION CAN DOWN MUCH LOWER TO HAVE SUPER LOW ACTION, ETC WHICH IS AMAZING FOR A 50 YEAR OLD INSTRUMENT. THIS GUITAR WAS DEFINITELY AHEAD OF ITS TIME...
**********************************************************************************************************
MORE INFO VIA GOOGLE:
http://www.vintaxe.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3024&sid=0474d601c3050a608a19ec2ee6c60ab5
http://www.metalnecks.com/index.php/ID/62165e1649358fdfdb97deaaa5248edb/thread/The_first_aluminum_neck_electric_guitar/fuseaction/forum.view.htm
[h=3]Musicraft Messenger (written by a family member of Glen F.Burke):[/h] [h=3]The fairytale continues! Music craft did not create the Messenger. The patent they used belonged to Glen F.Burke, my Father. Dad made hundreds of custom guitars between 1960-1965, BEFORE MusicCraft took over.

His company was the Tuning Fork Guitar Company. Started in Springfield. Dad opened the shop program at Tongue Point, Astoria, Oregon. For three years BEFORE MusicCraft he created a kit that kids at the Job Corp could build. THESE were beautiful, some with unique shapes, some covered with cowhide, and tooled leather. All of them with the signature patented neck that Messenger used.

I have received emails from men who created some of those guitars at tongue point. I have some of my dad’s guitars, and they are still one of the best sounding instruments around. I am surprised more people haven’t realized the Tuning Fork Guitar Company preceded the Messenger by at least 8 years. I have news paper articles,with Dad in his shop holding his signature neck. I think it’s time he is given credit.
[/h] ************************************************************************************************************************************
BECAUSE I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANOTHER ONE, I AM NOT 100% SURE AND THEREFORE CAN NOT GUARANTEE NOR WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ORIGINALITY PERIOD, BUT THIS GUITAR APPEARS TO BE IN ALL ORIGINAL CONDITION INCLUDING ALL THE PARTS WHICH ARE AUTHENTIC & GENUINE VINTAGE AMERICAN PARTS.BECAUSE THIS BURKE GUITAR WAS ONLY PRODUCED IN A CUSTOM ORDER BASIS, IT APPEARS THAT MR. BURKE USED ALL VARIETY OF PARTS INCLUDING: DE ARMOND (GOLD FOIL) PICK-UPS & DE ARMOND ENTIRE WIRING HARNESS, CTS POTS, SWITCH CRAFT JACK, VALCO TAILPIECE (CUSTOM GOLD PLATED - NOT PLAIN BRASS),GIBSON PARTS (SWITCH CAP, KNOBS, KLUSONS, STRAP BUTTONS, CUSTOM MADE PLAQUE), AND A GOLD PLATED GRETSCH SPACE CONTROL ROLLER BRIDGE.
THE GUITAR IS NECK HEAVY DUE TO BE AN ALUMINUM GUITAR, BUT OTHERWISE - IT LOOKS, SOUNDS & PLAYS FANTASTIC.
YOU WILL PROBABLY NEVER SEE THIS GUITAR AGAIN - A MUST FOR A SERIOUS VINTAGE METAL NECK GUITAR COLLECTOR.
**IF ANYONE HAS MORE INFO ON THIS GUITAR - IT WOULD BE TRULY APPRECIATED :)
ATTENTION: I HAVE DESCRIBED THIS GUITAR TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE. AGAIN, BECAUSE I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANOTHER ONE - I WILL NOT GUARANTEE OR BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACTUAL ORIGINALITY - PERIOD (NO EXCEPTIONS). THEREFORE, PLEASE VIEW THE ENTIRE LARGE PHOTOS IN DETAIL FOR EXACT DESCRIPTION, CONDITION & AUTHENTICITY PRIOR TO YOUR PURCHASE DUE TO BEING A USED VINTAGE ITEM WITH ABSOLUTELY NO RETURNS OR ANY REFUND - PERIOD.THANK YOU.
037-3.jpg

038-3.jpg

039.jpg

045-4.jpg

040-2.jpg

Honestly. offhand I can't think of a guitar I've ever seen that I want less. I'd take a Wangcaster first.

BOY, THIS GUY SURE DOES HAVE AN OBNOXIOUS WAY OF EXPRESSING HIMSELF IN WEIRD FONT ON COLORS ALL IN AN ATTEMPT TO SELL OFF A GUITAR THAT IS PROBABLY A PIECE OF SHIT... OKEE DOKEE.WOW, MAN.

Hideous. I always wondered what the fuss was about aluminum necks. Seems like a really shitty material to use for a neck.

Hideous. I always wondered what the fuss was about aluminum necks. Seems like a really shitty material to use for a neck.

Why? Stronger and lighter than wood. You could put wood and lead where you want it if you thought that was good. Style wise it's ugly sure. But why the anti-Aluminum? Do you think it would do something in particular to the sound? What?

Well, for one thing they never stay in tune because they are too susceptible to ambient temperature changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, what Mark said. I've handled one of those old Kramer aluminum neck guitars, and it wasn't a particularly light guitar. I only strummed it a few times, indoors, so I can't comment on stability of tuning with temperature, but I have heard these are a nightmare. I think this is why carbon fiber/graphite/resin composite necks are so awesome. My steinberger necks never go out of tune with temperature changes. I used to take them out of my trunk in the winter, and straight into a gig, without even having to retune them.

FWIW, a strat neck made from aluminum weights about 5 pounds. A wood neck might be 1-2 pounds.

Last edited:
okay, make it a wood neck, and I'll pay $100, MAYBE $150 for that.
I do love the look though, just so damn silly.

Well, for one thing they never stay in tune because they are too susceptible to ambient temperature changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's an interesting idea though the wood would expand/contract more than Al. Maybe that would match up better to what all the springs/strings do IDK. Have you ever owned one to know that for sure? Or is it more of a speculation after pieses of crap were built as 1st models (eg: simlar to the toys with amp-in-gutars).

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/linear-expansion-coefficients-d_95.html

They do not have kiln dried maple, as the page focuses on more construction related woods, but you can see comparisons of thermal expansion coefficients of aluminum, fir, and oak. This is just the first page I pulled up, but there are many, many pages out there showing that aluminum is more thermally expansive than woods. Of course, the wood is measured cross grain, and lots of necks are flat sawn or quarter sawn to increase strength.

Last edited:
Back