trouble shooting my 5E3

angry tele

L'effet c'est moi
problem: Im not getting break up until the volume is past 9 or 10.

here's some pics, see if anything weird jumps out, any mods or values that arent consistant with 5E3. (besides the VRM, and ground is a standby)

tweed1.jpg

tweed2.jpg

tweed3.jpg

tweed4.jpg

tweed5.jpg

tweed6.jpg

tweed7.jpg

tweed8.jpg

thanks!

Hard to tell by looking. Things LOOK kosher.

Can you pull the chassis and get a shot of the power transformer with make and model info? I would love to know the model # so I can look up voltages.

A picture of the output transformer may be helpful to, just to make sure it's got the right ratio and that the wrong secondary isn't hooked up. While we are talking about it, what is the printed impedance on the speaker?

If I had it on hand, the first things I would check is the voltages at the tubes and make sure they are where they should be.

Then I would probably bypass the VVR and just hook the 5Y3 up straight to the B+ (move the wire from the eyelet board from the back of the VVR to Pin 8 of the 5Y3) and try and immediate that as a suspect.

I am with Wyatt. I can't see any odd stuff either.

My only suggest is to try another speaker or extension cabinet.

Damn, nothing on that PT to identify it. That is no help.

OT is Mercury, I have one in my new build, seems nice. I got it for cheap years ago and this it the first chance I've had to use it.

How is the amp with the new speaker and tubes?

the pT is mojotone tweed deluxe , and OT is 1959 tweed model...so good to go.

new tubes did the trick! works perfectly now, I get breakup on around 4, and nice smooth compressed distortion when totally cranked. this thing sounds awesome now!

the speaker I ordered saturday, should be here by wednesday I hope (I got it on ebay so theres not wait time)

I ended up getting tubes from GC (I know), but I think they sound good. they are russian EH. I put an ax7 in both v1 and v2.

the pT is mojotone tweed deluxe , and OT is 1959 tweed model...so good to go.

new tubes did the trick! works perfectly now, I get breakup on around 4, and nice smooth compressed distortion when totally cranked. this thing sounds awesome now!

the speaker I ordered saturday, should be here by wednesday I hope (I got it on ebay so theres not wait time)

I ended up getting tubes from GC (I know), but I think they sound good. they are russian EH. I put an ax7 in both v1 and v2.

:cool:

Was the problem tube the V2?

If so, try the 12AY7 again in V1.

Back