Tone Reaper's Official TeleBird Build Thread

Tone Reaper

Taco of Death
So I finally got my body and neck today :grin:. You guys may have saw the pic in the other thread, but if not here it is:
IMG_2992.JPG

I unpacked it early this afternoon. I have to say, I was really impressed with the build quality :thu:. I was already aware that it needed finish sanding, but it wasn't too much. The neck shape is really nice. The fretwork is neat. Very impressed.
So after I stared at it for a while, then mowed the yard, then stared at it a little more, I started sanding. There were a few flat spots around the contours that needed attention bit it didn't take long to have it where I wanted. My only big concern was the shape of the neck heel. It was a little sharp and uncomfortable. I sanded on it for a while and I think it's better now.
I had also realized after he shipped it that I asked for 22 frets. I have no I idea why I did. I'm not a fan of themthwap0. So, after my sanding was finished, I decided to remove the fret and the overhang. It wasn't quite as easy as I thought, but I got it done.
This evening I moved on to grain filling. Got a coat on it, and got the excess scraped off.
2013-09-03 20.12.20.jpg

Scraping Grain Filler.

2013-09-03 20.23.47.jpg

Finished grain filling

Tomorrow I'll sand down the rest of the filler and then move on to another coat of filler, or sanding sealer.

BTW, I'm painting this Olympic White and I can't decide what color pickguard. Should I go with white, parchment, or mint green?

Rock on.

I immediately thought mint, but cream would look best I think.

Where'd you get the parts?

Best of luck!

I got the parts from a builder I found on ebay. I sent him a message to see if he could do what I wanted. He came back at me with $255 for the body and neck. I couldn't say no for that price. His ebay name is hilimireguitars. I have his email if anyone wants it.

Right on. I would go black with the pickguard. But of those choices, I would go parchment.

Sanded down my grain filler and two coats of sanding sealer applied. Block sanding coming soon.
uploadfromtaptalk1378335125948.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Haven't updated in a while. Been working really hard on the guitar. I got the body and neck painted. Now just waiting on them to dry for a few weeks so I can wet sand and polish.
2013-09-10 21.13.35.jpg
2013-09-10 21.14.00.jpg
2013-09-10 21.14.15.jpg

On another note, I found something to keep me occupied in between coats. Decided to try to build my own version of a Danelecto guitar. This one is more or less a prototype, so I didn't spend a lot of time on finish. Should have it playing in a couple days if everything goes ok.

2013-09-05 16.08.13.jpg

I actually cut more out of the center section before I put it together, but I forgot to take a pic.
2013-09-05 17.29.42.jpg

Had to change the pickguard design for the pickup configuration, but this was my original idea.
2013-09-09 17.55.46.jpg

Finished painting it today. Gotta put in the electronics and bolt on the neck to finish it up.
2013-09-10 20.57.27.jpg

Hopefully it will sound cool!

Woah, the grain of the fretboard made me think the neck was bending. :messedup:

Looks like a really cool build though. You need either a tort or a black guard though. :wink:

Back