This Time for Sure

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
Looking forward to the summer, I realize that I will be turning 69 this year. I looked at the money building in a Commonwealth of Massachusetts retirement fund and realized it is more than enough to wipe out my IRS obligation. I just can't touch it until I retire or turn 70. I don't want to go another year.

I intend to retire from my teaching job at HCC at the end of the summer semester, which is the end of July. I will then give notice at the three-day-a-week job and leave that at the end of August. That leaves me with a once a year graduate class in the fall. That involves just a few hours a week during the semester.

So it looks like I will be pretty much retired by the end of August.
9c0b5c4439650921d2d982774d6f7e6b.jpg

Congrats!

Retirement is awesome. Of course, I only retired to save others from the misery of dealing with me. I'm a helper!

:)

Lucky! You get to have TWO Summers of '69.

I'll never live to see the age of 69, and I missed the Summer of '69 by 3 days. 3. Days.
I am now older than both my parents when they died. My older brother died at age 33, my younger brother in his late 50s and my sister in her late 40s. I consider myself lucky to have made is this far and realize I need to take it easy while I can. Seeing the interest go up on my IRS debt made me decide it was time to cash in the retirement now and "live free."

Reactions: OGG
Back