• Johnny Smith Tuning 3.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 1,454
  • Johnny Smith Tuning 4.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,467
johnny-smith-tuning-1-jpg.42689
johnny-smith-tuning-2-jpg.42690
johnny-smith-tuning-3-jpg.42691
johnny-smith-tuning-4-jpg.42692

I was all ready to come in here and call Johnny Smith a goddamn fucking idiot, but he has good points.

It isn't though.
I know you don't like locking tuners, and maybe they were not as good in the past. I can honestly say I have had nothing but great results from all of them.

All that stuff about being the string after it goes through the post, getting X amount of wraps around the post, but not too many wraps around the post etc. All non-issues with locking tuners.

Obviously, they will not help with how you tune, or your intonation.

I know you don't like locking tuners, and maybe they were not as good in the past. I can honestly say I have had nothing but great results from all of them.

All that stuff about being the string after it goes through the post, getting X amount of wraps around the post, but not too many wraps around the post etc. All non-issues with locking tuners.

Obviously, they will not help with how you tune, or your intonation.

Putting 3 to 5 wraps on a post is really simple. Thread the string through the post, pull back a fret, kink the string, wind.

Locking tuners can have a different problem, that being not enough angle from the nut. If the manufacturer chooses the wrong post height, then there won't be enough downward pressure. This primarily happens on Fender type headstocks that only employ one string tree. It's not a huge deal, but it can still give you a wrap or two on the D and G strings.

Everything else in the article applies to everyone. Tune up, not down. Make sure you have good intonation. Tune multiple ways because the guitar can never truly be in tune, given the tempered tuning system.

Putting 3 to 5 wraps on a post is really simple. Thread the string through the post, pull back a fret, kink the string, wind.

Locking tuners can have a different problem, that being not enough angle from the nut. If the manufacturer chooses the wrong post height, then there won't be enough downward pressure. This primarily happens on Fender type headstocks that only employ one string tree. It's not a huge deal, but it can still give you a wrap or two on the D and G strings.

Everything else in the article applies to everyone. Tune up, not down. Make sure you have good intonation. Tune multiple ways because the guitar can never truly be in tune, given the tempered tuning system.

I get that it's simple, it's just not necessary. The wound strings end up with no wraps. plain string might wrap once on a locking tuner. Here is your solution to post hight on the G String. Works great!

http://store.reverendguitars.com/product/triple-tree/

You can pry my locking tuners from my cold dead hands. :grin:

triple_tree_2.jpg

I get that it's simple, it's just not necessary. The wound strings end up with no wraps. plain string might wrap once on a locking tuner. Here is your solution to post hight on the G String. Works great!

http://store.reverendguitars.com/product/triple-tree/

You can pry my locking tuners from my cold dead hands. :grin:

View attachment 42705

I'm not looking to pry anything from anyone. I'm simply saying that high quality tuners, regardless of whether they lock or not, are the answer. Crummy tuners with low ratios, whether they lock or not, are not the answer.

I'm not looking to pry anything from anyone. I'm simply saying that high quality tuners, regardless of whether they lock or not, are the answer. Crummy tuners with low ratios, whether they lock or not, are not the answer.
I know. Just being a dick.

Btw speaking of ratios, the Graphtec Ratio Tiners are really great.

I really love the locking tuners and three-string tree (and most everything else) on my Reverend. I also love the vintage style Klusons on my Fenders and the regular old post tuners on my LP.

I think the most important thing I took from this guy's article, that confirmed what I've always known, is that if you're having tuning problems, it's never because of the tuners themselves. Poor stringing technique, bad nut, bad bridge, poor intonation, etc. are all far more likely to cause an issue than even the cheapest, shittiest tuners.

Or should I say -

If you're having tuning problems, I feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but my pitch ain't one

I really love the locking tuners and three-string tree (and most everything else) on my Reverend. I also love the vintage style Klusons on my Fenders and the regular old post tuners on my LP.

I think the most important thing I took from this guy's article, that confirmed what I've always known, is that if you're having tuning problems, it's never because of the tuners themselves. Poor stringing technique, bad nut, bad bridge, poor intonation, etc. are all far more likely to cause an issue than even the cheapest, shittiest tuners.
I agree. Any guitar I’ve had with tuning issues came down to the nut. A quality nut fixed the issue every time. Locking tuners are just a convenience/ simplicity thing for me.

Back