Stellantis EV announcement - Better late than never. I guess.

dodgechargerfan

CanadianGary
Administrator
"Stellantis said it would offer an electric Dodge muscle car by 2024 and Jeep would offer an all-electric SUV in every vehicle segment by 2025. The company also plans to launch a Ram full-size electric pickup by 2024"

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/08/ste...lion-in-evs-and-new-technologies-by-2025.html

As I look toward getting back on the road for work, I am of the mind that my next vehicle will need to be electric or at least a hybrid. Most of what I see on the market right now is not very enticing or, if it is at all interesting, it's out of my price range.

I'm not saying Stellantis will solve that (ask your doctor is Stellantis is right for you.), but I welcome more choice, and hope that they bring something interesting and reasonably affordable to market.

i'm still not on board with the whole electric car thing, yet.
1) the manufacturing and disposal of the batteries is one of the most UN-green things there is.
2) the battery packs go to shit at around 75k miles and are $6k+ to replace.
3) there aren't even close to enough charging stations to make them useful outside your home area.
4) they don't have enough range to take on trips and see above.
5) the purchase cost of those that available right now is prohibitive.
6) the whole "it's not yours" software licensing crap has to change.
7) there aren't anywhere near enough vehicles to choose from, and i don't like any of the ones available right now.
8) electricity to charge them doesn't grow on trees. it comes from (mostly) fossil fuel power plants, so un-green also.

as a local commuter vehicle, yeah i guess that's do-able.

i'm still not on board with the whole electric car thing, yet.
1) the manufacturing and disposal of the batteries is one of the most UN-green things there is.
2) the battery packs go to shit at around 75k miles and are $6k+ to replace.
3) there aren't even close to enough charging stations to make them useful outside your home area.
4) they don't have enough range to take on trips and see above.
5) the purchase cost of those that available right now is prohibitive.
6) the whole "it's not yours" software licensing crap has to change.
7) there aren't anywhere near enough vehicles to choose from, and i don't like any of the ones available right now.
8) electricity to charge them doesn't grow on trees. it comes from (mostly) fossil fuel power plants, so un-green also.

as a local commuter vehicle, yeah i guess that's do-able.
I don’t disagree with any of this but it will all change in time.

All of these companies going full electric will drive that change.

A lot these points applied to the internal combustion engine based vehicles when they were new to the market.

I guess I’m of the mind that the changes are going to happen soon enough that I need to start thinking about EVs for my next vehicle.

A while back, when I worked for EPRI, some of the researchers in the EV area were talking about a business model where batteries would be modular, and when you were on a long road trip you would simply swap out your depleted back for a freshly-charged pack at a service station. I haven't heard anything about it since, but it's still a rather intriguing concept to me, particularly if we are able to achieve a magnitude or two higher energy densities for electrolytes.

A while back, when I worked for EPRI, some of the researchers in the EV area were talking about a business model where batteries would be modular, and when you were on a long road trip you would simply swap out your depleted back for a freshly-charged pack. I haven't heard anything about it since, but it's still a rather intriguing concept to me.
Heard about something like that.

I think it was Tesla that had a working model, but I think this was even before they brought a car to market.

You’d drive into a bay, pay the machine, and it would lower the batteries out the bottom of the car and raise a charged set in place.

My gut says that the time involved was cancelled out by the fast charging tech that came afterwards.

My neighbour just got one of the new Fiat 500 electric cars. It was a surprisingly fun little car and gets pretty good range for a suburban life in a very small country. They have the smallest battery and can still get 300+ km, and apparently although the range is impacted negatively, it is fantastic at going up steep hills in the mountains. Makes a lot of sense as we have a very dense electrical grid for EV cars, generate most power from nuke and water, and everything is really close together. Not sure it is the right concept for, say, Iowa, but for where I live it is pretty attractive.

@dodgechargerfan

have a look at this interactive deal, and you can see that coal and n-gas still power a big piece of the country.

https://www.electricrate.com/data-center/electricity-sources-by-state/

just sayin' :Wave:

"In 2018, about 96% of electricity in Ontario is produced from zero-carbon emitting sources: 60% from nuclear, 26% from hydroelectricity, 7% from wind, and 2% from solar. The remainder is primarily from natural gas, with some biomass. Ontario’s electricity generating capacity is primarily located in the southern portion of the province with significant hydro generating stations located in eastern Ontario in the Ottawa River basin and northeastern Ontario in the Moose River basin"

CER – Provincial and Territorial Energy Profiles - Ontario (cer-rec.gc.ca)

Just sayin' :cartman:

I'm a 15 minute drive from this:
Sir Adam Beck Hydroelectric Generating Stations - Wikipedia

Adam_Beck_Complex.jpg

"In 2018, about 96% of electricity in Ontario is produced from zero-carbon emitting sources: 60% from nuclear, 26% from hydroelectricity, 7% from wind, and 2% from solar. The remainder is primarily from natural gas, with some biomass. Ontario’s electricity generating capacity is primarily located in the southern portion of the province with significant hydro generating stations located in eastern Ontario in the Ottawa River basin and northeastern Ontario in the Moose River basin"

CER – Provincial and Territorial Energy Profiles - Ontario (cer-rec.gc.ca)

Just sayin' :cartman:

I'm a 15 minute drive from this:
Sir Adam Beck Hydroelectric Generating Stations - Wikipedia

Adam_Beck_Complex.jpg

but that's canada, not the USA.
that's what i was speaking to.

My brother just got a Tesla Model 3. It has a range of about 400 miles. To the comment of you can't take it on long trips, he can charge his at a turbo power station in about 40 minutes for something like $9. That's stopping for lunch on a road trip. There are maps of where the charging stations are for the entire country so planning your route just takes a little more effort.
He can charge his car overnight at his house for $2.45

My brother just got a Tesla Model 3. It has a range of about 400 miles. To the comment of you can't take it on long trips, he can charge his at a turbo power station in about 40 minutes for something like $9. That's stopping for lunch on a road trip. There are maps of where the charging stations are for the entire country so planning your route just takes a little more effort.
He can charge his car overnight at his house for $2.45
Yep. It has started to make a lot more sense to me now that range has increased and charge stations are more prevalent.
Range used to be a show-stopper for me and my older job wherein I travelled a lot via car.

I was totally on board with my last job as my commute was less than 15 miles and I could charge at work for free.
However, with that job, affording the purchase price was going to take a while. it was still the plan though.

With this new gig, I will be driving to visit customers - once we are able to do so - and that 400 mile range will be a big deal.
However, with being able to expense mileage, the bean-counters might insist I rent a car instead of charging mileage as it does work out to be less expensive.
So, at that point, a city-commute level vehicle will be fine and I'll use rentals for the long-haul trips.

Hell, I've even looked into doing a conversion to EV on my 69 Charger. There are companies that have developed kits for converting classic cars.

I would like to have an electric SUV. But I’m not sure how soon an affordable model will be on the market. We don’t have the money for a Tesla Model X so that’s not happening. But I’d be happy to have an electric Highlander.

Back