Sound City

shoeless

Riffin'
I was flipping around channels last night and came across the Sound City film. I vaguely remember it being made back in 2013, but I'd never seen it. I know Dave Grohl rubs some folks the wrong way, but it was cool to see all the different musicians and styles come together in the studio to make some music on the fly. I only watched maybe 30 min., but DVR'd it for a later watch. I'm guessing it's available on streaming services as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_City_(film)

Loved that docu. He started it as a short clip for advertising his board/studio and it sort of took off as a bigger story that he wanted to put out. It was on YouTube at one point in it's entirety and I had downloaded it. No idea where I lost it to.

i saw the whole show on PBS a few years ago.
dave ends up buying, disassembling and moving the console. it's like only one of 4 ever made, and the sound city one had circuitry that no other ever had.
they talk about how the tone of a lot of those hits was because of that console's sound (Neve 8028).

it's a pretty good film. :thu:

here's a pic of the console.

SoundCity-Neve.jpg

I love that documentary! Went to re-watch it a while back and couldn't find it anywhere that I had access to, so bought the DVD!

I remember watching it and checking out immediately when he was talking up all the amazing bands that had used the board, and one of them was (I think) RATT. If that's your highwater mark, I can't get on board with your premise. Not that I didn't enjoy watching, but I had trouble buying in.

Love it. A story of how recording music has been lost. The incredible history of what was recorded using that board.

I remember watching it and checking out immediately when he was talking up all the amazing bands that had used the board, and one of them was (I think) RATT. If that's your highwater mark, I can't get on board with your premise. Not that I didn't enjoy watching, but I had trouble buying in.
For their Genre Ratt had great tone. I think the high water mark could have been any number of those other albums.

I was flipping around channels last night and came across the Sound City film. I vaguely remember it being made back in 2013, but I'd never seen it. I know Dave Grohl rubs some folks the wrong way, but it was cool to see all the different musicians and styles come together in the studio to make some music on the fly. I only watched maybe 30 min., but DVR'd it for a later watch. I'm guessing it's available on streaming services as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_City_(film)

I loved it!! I ran into it on YouTube (I have YouTube Premium - it's worth it) and then after it was over, I was just thinking about it and embodying the energy that a great show often gives me...when the Tower Records one (All Things Must Pass) came on automatically so I watched that too.

I don't get any of the Grohl hate. The guy is fantastic all around. Furthermore, I am happy that he got the board.

RATT was great...lots of their rock tunes still hold up.

If the board was used for nothing other than Refugee by Petty it would have unmeasured mystique.

Last edited:
For me, it was Dave Grohl overload. It seemed like he was everywhere doing everything. I am not a Foo Fighters fan, though I liked Learning to Fly, but appreciate Grohl as an all around nice guy. But it felt like he was inescapable at one point. Same with Jack White.

Back