Opinions on a little DIY SG project?

irishstu

really experienced
Hi all,

I picked up this neck a while back that I bought for no other reason than I just thought it was kinda cool. It's an old Kasuga bolt-on Les Paul neck.

my-neck-1.jpg

I also at one time picked up an abandoned SG body project. It's just had the outline roughly cut out, and apart from a few small holes that could easily be covered up, I'm free to work on that as I like. Here it is:

wXiT0YJSq2vPNUeWIZ4JoL7whPzpvCK483Wj7GPWlA8=w501-h612-no

I'd really like to get the two items together. However I realise that an SG body and a bolt-on neck are not generally a good match, since an SG neck would generally have a long tenon. This is about the position it would end up at on this one:

my-SG-so-far.png

That said, I'm just doing this as a fun project. I like rescuing abandoned stuff and making something playable out of it. I also have a couple of pretty good humbuckers and all the other hardware required to get this playable.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever seen a bolt-on neck SG that didn't look like shit. The thing that bothers me most is how far back the stop tail would end up being. I was considering using a wraparound bridge as a way of disguising how far into the body the neck really was.

I think ending up with something like this would be OK (but with a wraparound instead of a separate bridge/tailpiece):

imgp34437rk.jpg

Is this a waste of time? Any other thoughts/opinions/advice you can give me?

Thanks,
Stu

I think the wrap around tailpiece would be a good call.The guitar will look a little freaky just beacuse we all have preconceived notions of what an SG looks like but if you end up with a functional instrument that you like to play who cares?

Would it be hard to add a tenon to a bolt on neck? I've always wondered that. Seems if it was done right with quality wood and glue (not a hot glue gun. wise-asses) it would be no worse than a repaired neckbreak. idn_smilie

Thanks, fellas. Seems like it will be worth going ahead with.

Would it be hard to add a tenon to a bolt on neck? I've always wondered that. Seems if it was done right with quality wood and glue (not a hot glue gun. wise-asses) it would be no worse than a repaired neckbreak. idn_smilie

This has certainly crossed my mind. However, I couldn't find anything on Google referencing someone trying this. If you can find anything, please let me know. I guess it's just considered far too much work for very little reward.

Back