Dig it! NGD

Stratguy

Coffee Junky
Last year I got a chance to play some PRS guitars, and it totally changed my mind about this guitar maker. Friday, I got a chance to stop by GC and play a PRS SE 30th Anniversary Custom 24. After trying out a few other SE models, I decided that this was the model for me. This arrived yesterday:

20150714_181257_zps9bitrdkf.jpg

20150714_181311_zpsy3xownwj.jpg

20150714_181346_zpsxxktuxqw.jpg

20150714_181402_zpsltucnhmi.jpg

What really sold be on it was that doing barre chords on it was practically effortless, something I have alway struggled with on other guitars.

The PRS hate doesn't sit well with me.

Back in 1993, I graduated from high school. Back then, I wanted nothing more than a Les Paul. For my graduation gift, my parents said they'd buy me a Les Paul.

I went to the local music store and played all the LPs in stock. The salesman said I should try this other guitar behind the counter. It was as 1992 PRS CE24. I'd never even heard of PRS before. The ticket price was almost $1400.

I played it and immediately fell in love. It was so much better feeling and sounding than any of the LPs I played that it wasn't even funny.

I ended up with the PRS.

I was 33 years old by the time I bought myself a Les Paul.

Last edited:
bsman, if you're talking about this one, then there is a big difference. The sustain on the PRS is amazing, and I assume that the mass of the bridge means that the tremolo block has good mass. Also, the tremolo is much more responsive.

MexicanBridge.jpg

If you're talking about this newer version, then I couldn't say, because I don't have any experience with it.

strat_bridge-630-80.jpg

I will say that I love this PRS SE, and at the same time I love my Strats. They are definitely different animals.

The only strat I currently have is an 02 American "Fat Strat Texas Special" -- which has a 2-point trem. I've never used one of those before, and I'm still getting used to it...

I have a Peavey USA Limited HB which has a Peavey made 2 point tremolo that's based on the Hipshot 2 point tremolo. I understand that it takes a little time to get used to the feel of a different tremolo.

HNGD! :thu:
Very cool guitar. I like how the figuring is mild and not in your face.

Yeah -- the whole thing is rather subdued, understated, and as a result, elegant!

What's funny is that when I first saw it, I thought I might have gotten the runt of the litter. The more I look at it, the more I like the subtlety of the graining, as well. :thu:

Last edited:
Back