New Wolfetone P90 for humbucker route

Wolfe winds THE BEST P90 on the planet IMO.

This setup is a really clever idea we've known Wolfe's been working on for years. It's an actual p90 bobbin and plates under that cover unlike any of the HB cased p90's.

I wanted to drop by and thank the person who shared this here. I'm not sure who you are, but thanks!

I went in a different direction with my design, choosing not to compromise and make a pickup that fits under a humbucker-sized cover. The coil of a P90 is too large, and won't fit unless severely underwound. When you change the geometry, you change the tone and character. The Duncan Phat Cat uses 43awg wire. The Gibson P94 uses a tall, fat coil similar to a Telecaster bridge pickup.
Our version uses a 100% authentic P90 coil, zero change to the and magnetic geometry whatsoever.

A patent on the design was filed in March of last year. During the NAMM show just days ago, we were finally able to show it off to some good friends in the same field. I can say that people were very impressed with what I've done and how I pulled it off. There's a pretty big name who seems like they might be contemplating licensing it...
If we had had a booth at the show, I don't doubt that we could have won best in show this year. After all, we solved a 50+ year old problem.
Best in show went to the "Virtual Jeff" instead.

I have a guitar that could use a pair of those p90s. It's an ibanez artist re-issue w/very very bland, cheap humbuckers. I think that good p90s could give it more snap and character.

Welcome to the forum.

As a showing of thanks you could give him a pup under the stipulation that he installs it in the middle position of a guitar.

Does this require massaging the pickup routes at all? What's the bottom of the pickup look like?

Not at all. At least, not on any of the guitars we've fit it to. There may be some issues with some guitar brands that have very small, tight routs. In those cases, we'll massage the pickup itself.

Looks like this. You can see where we've indented the corners of the lower base-plate and lower flange of the bobbin, to clear the points of the rout. This doesn't affect the coil at all., so there's no effect on the tone.

20150911_115940.jpg

Yeah, this. ^^^^

I have an HB-equipped SG that I'm interested in authentic-sounding, raw P90s for.

If it has humbucker moutning rings, SG's are a piece of cake. No arch to the top to fit the cover to. An SG was the first fitting I did of the 3D printed beta-covers.
It may be possible to do them for "pickguard-suspended" SG's by using a pickguard cut to accept the cover..

Just popping in to say that Wolfe makes some AMAZING sounding pickups - had a set of his Dr. Vs in a custom shop 57 LP I used to own - am still kicking myself for not putting other pickups in it before I sold it.

Back