NBD - Honda Shadow 1100

wagdog

Ack
Picked this up a week or so ago. '86 Honda Shadow 1100. Nice to get back in the saddle again after a 12 year layoff. 32k miles on it, runs and rides great with the exception of 3rd gear being pooched up - going to be fixed this winter.

Last edited:
Cool. I lack the skill to operate a motorcycle properly, but I still like them. That is a cool Japanese cruiser.

very cool........please.....promise you WON'T put loud drag pipes on it.
The pipes that are on it are aftermarket and were put on before I bought it. They have baffles, but I'm pretty sure they aren't packed.

It's not crazy LOUD (something I'm not a fan of), but it's certainly not quiet. There is a school of thought that says loud pipes are better for safety reasons.

The pipes that are on it are aftermarket and were put on before I bought it. They have baffles, but I'm pretty sure they aren't packed.

It's not crazy LOUD (something I'm not a fan of), but it's certainly not quiet. There is a school of thought that says loud pipes are better for safety reasons.

there IS that school of thought, but the clowns around here with the open harley pipes.....yea they're loud so cars can hear them coming a qaurter mile away.....but when they go zooming thru an intersection and don't hear the cop or ambulance coming the other way.....things go very badly for the loud pipes.
just sayiin'

there IS that school of thought, but the clowns around here with the open harley pipes.....yea they're loud so cars can hear them coming a qaurter mile away.....but when they go zooming thru an intersection and don't hear the cop or ambulance coming the other way.....things go very badly for the loud pipes.
just sayiin'
Yep, I'm not a fan of loud pipes. On the list of winter fixes in addition to 3rd gear are repacking the baffles.

Happy New Honda Day. Those 1100's are pretty much bullet-proof, though not car-proof. If it is,available in you area, take a Motorcycle Rider Safety Course; a couple of weekends, small bikes provided by the course.

Happy New Honda Day. Those 1100's are pretty much bullet-proof, though not car-proof. If it is,available in you area, take a Motorcycle Rider Safety Course; a couple of weekends, small bikes provided by the course.
Never enough training on bikes as far as I'm concerned. I took a motorcycle safety course when I was in the service in the late 80s - learned a great deal. Taking another one wouldn't be a bad idea.

Never enough training on bikes as far as I'm concerned. I took a motorcycle safety course when I was in the service in the late 80s - learned a great deal. Taking another one wouldn't be a bad idea.

Yeah, you can never be too safe with that kind of thing. A current class might give you hints on the recent ways people ignore bikes on the road so you can look out for them. There are no fender benders on a bike, so best bet is to be carful out there. This is the main reason I take my vision and coordination issues as a reason to never ride a bike...I can't be aware enough of all the idiocy out there.

Nice.

Those old Shadows were great cruiser bikes. Super reliable, economical, fun to ride, good looking...

I had a few different Shadow models over the years, they were all great, but I particularly loved my VLX. That was a sexy bike.

Never had an 1100 though, that's a whole lotta motor right there. Thing must be all kinds of quick.

Nice.

Those old Shadows were great cruiser bikes. Super reliable, economical, fun to ride, good looking...

I had a few different Shadow models over the years, they were all great, but I particularly loved my VLX. That was a sexy bike.

Never had an 1100 though, that's a whole lotta motor right there. Thing must be all kinds of quick.

It's got some giddy-up. Gets up to speed quickly and cruises right along on the hwy doing 65 comfortably. It's pretty heavy, so lighter bikes with smaller engines are way quicker. My days of going fast are long, long gone.

Nice! I need to get a bike again.
Sold my last one 12 years ago. Feels great to ride again, I really missed it.

It pains me to say, but I haven't had my bike out of the shed this year. It's still got an inspection sticker that expired in April. I've been thinking about selling it.

I'd really like to get a nicer, newer bike, but I don't want to do that until I come up with a better place to park it than I have right now. My poor little storage building is packed with the bike, some tools, a bunch of bicycles, etc, etc, etc. I'd have to do some major cleaning to get any bigger a bike in there.

Maybe next year I'll build a bigger storage building (or even a small garage) and then I'll let myself get a new bike.

It pains me to say, but I haven't had my bike out of the shed this year. It's still got an inspection sticker that expired in April. I've been thinking about selling it.

I'd really like to get a nicer, newer bike, but I don't want to do that until I come up with a better place to park it than I have right now. My poor little storage building is packed with the bike, some tools, a bunch of bicycles, etc, etc, etc. I'd have to do some major cleaning to get any bigger a bike in there.

Maybe next year I'll build a bigger storage building (or even a small garage) and then I'll let myself get a new bike.
Lol, that's exactly how I ended up selling my last one (kawi 750) 12 years ago. It was stuck in my shed w/the lawnmower and whatnot and I'd ridden it 4 times the entire summer. Guy gave me the same $600 I paid for it several years before that, and it was gone. Regretted it ever since.

Back