Kahler Les Paul?

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
61632d2f390fa501548322e15114fadf--les-paul-custom-guitar-room.jpg

Gold hardware, and a middle pickup. What's not to love?

Well, hmmmm.....

Les Pauls I certainly like. Middle humbucker on one is great. Kahlers I have no beef with, and I believe you can remove this kind with no permanent issues. Really, the thing I like the least about this is the white color.

Well, hmmmm.....

Les Pauls I certainly like. Middle humbucker on one is great. Kahlers I have no beef with, and I believe you can remove this kind with no permanent issues. Really, the thing I like the least about this is the white color.
I think this is the Steve Clark sig model. White Les Pauls were his thing.

Gold hardware fail. I don’t like gold with white. I would vastly prefer chrome or (even better) black.

Take out the middle pickup, paint it blue, and you're pretty close to my high school guitar.

Actually, I stripped off all the binding and rounded all the edges too.... basically made a PRS standard before they were making single cuts.

But I hated.... HATED.... that fucking Kahler. Stupid rubbery feel of the arm.... and those rollers.... oh those goddamned rollers that strings slip out of every fucking time you dive bomb.

Kahlers are great if you only want to use the trem for vibrato.... and you don't need any brightness or sustain. :embarrassed:

Never was a fan of Kahler trems. If I were to put a trem on an LP, it would either be a Floyd Rose or a Bigsby (using Vibramate System).

Using Wyatt's reply as reference on the Floyd.

Not true. They required a top route.
7200-route.jpg

People often confuse Kahler with the “Floyd for Les Paul”, a retrofit unit, but Gibson never used those stock. They are pretty rare now.
floydpaul1.jpg

Sounds weird. IIRC Jeff Hanneman and Kerry king from Slayer used Kahlers, and they didn't do subtle vibrato.
There's a guy on youtube that compares the different trems (Kahler vs. Floyd and others). He dive bombs with the Kahler too, and no problems. He also shows you how to set one up properly. I think the main trick is to solder the wrappings at the ball-end of the string before you put it in the bridge.

I've dive-bombed with my Kahlers and never had them pop out of the roller tracks. I'm sure they could, but it's never happpened to me.

There's a guy on youtube that compares the different trems (Kahler vs. Floyd and others). He dive bombs with the Kahler too, and no problems. He also shows you how to set one up properly. I think the main trick is to solder the wrappings at the ball-end of the string before you put it in the bridge..
that the main "trick" is that you have to solder the strings is a pretty good indicator of how floyds are much better..

Back