I’d like to introduce you to the two latest members of the Flamencology family...

I'm very happy for you and terribly jealous. Always wanted to sail from Maine to Gros Morne. That part of the world is very dear to me.

I'm very happy for you and terribly jealous. Always wanted to sail from Maine to Gros Morne. That part of the world is very dear to me.

Gros Morne is stunning, especially in late summer and in autumn.

This time of year, I wouldn’t recommend it unless you’re in fantastic shape, have experience with hiking through snow, and are really into that.

Not my pics, but these are a more accurate depiction of what this hellish winter has been like. Just do a Google search for Snowmageddon 2020.

CE0D5F39-AA0F-4879-9617-8D97C4E9225E.jpeg
EE0270CA-D395-45F6-B2BA-15FB0CE49594.jpeg
D8C8B184-3F57-42B4-A868-6119497096E4.jpeg

That's crazy. We got almost no snow this year, nothing that accumulated. See, global warming is real :grin:

I actually used to do serious mountaineering in severe climates, but that part of my life is over.

However, I am not at all unused to or afraid of the cold.

What I’m about to say, I say with great love:

I hate you. You are the worst. I hope you get lost in a blizzard and freeze to death.
not gonna happen bro....tomorrow in all likelyhood is the last day of coold weather here for the season...43 overnight and high of 60 and then it's 80's and upper 50's. i plan to go next weekend and pick up cooler pads, etc for the evap cooler because in another few weeks Accuweather is showing some 90's *spits*

not gonna happen bro....tomorrow in all likelyhood is the last day of coold weather here for the season...43 overnight and high of 60 and then it's 80's and upper 50's. i plan to go next weekend and pick up cooler pads, etc for the evap cooler because in another few weeks Accuweather is showing some 90's *spits*

It's a dry heat.

It's a dry heat.
I 'm glad i ordered a new pair of shorts before all this Covid dropped. A new pair of shorts, excersising my consumerism at the start of every hot season makes it somewhat bearable at least. Nothing like a new clothing item at the change of the season *spits*

I 'm glad i ordered a new pair of shorts before all this Covid dropped. A new pair of shorts, excersising my consumerism at the start of every hot season makes it somewhat bearable at least. Nothing like a new clothing item at the change of the season *spits*

No spitting please!

*spits*

I actually used to do serious mountaineering in severe climates, but that part of my life is over.

However, I am not at all unused to or afraid of the cold.

Newfoundland isn’t especially cold. Just... I’m a snow-hater at the best of times. Which is why I usually winter on the west coast or in the UK.

I grew up doing winter climbs in especially cold places - Lake Willoughby in northern Vermont, and the Presidentials in New Hampshire (for those who don't know, the 'worst weather in the world,' and no, they're not kidding). I tried an especially dumb solo of the headwall of the Great Gulf in February of 1998. High temperature that day was 5 Fahrneheit, and after 12 miles of wading through chest high snow (which made the climb impossible, which actually made the epic much worse) I almost lost both my toes to frostbite. It was not until 2014 that my toes recovered (won't gross you out with the details). I did some search and rescue not because I was any great shakes as a climber, but because I knew how to suffer cold.

Anyone who goes out in the Presidentials during January and February knows profound cold. As a comparison, I've also climbed in the Antarctic Region of Chile and it was nice and mild (bcos of the surrounding ocean).

Newfoundland. The absolute land of dreams for me.

Your dogs are beautiful.

Back