I Spent the Day Photo Documenting the Flooding in Findlay, Oh.

they have been plagued with flooding of the Blanchard river pretty much forever. the storms we've had here in the upper midwest in the last 48 hours have caused the river to crest at 18+ feet above flood stage (calculated at this point). it's supposed to crest in the next 12 hours or so. we are involved because of a engineering project to widen the river and add an area for it to flood into to keep the crests lower.
i'll be back there tomorrow to finish the study. i had to drive 12 miles out of town and 15 miles north to get around all the flooded roads to try to get back around to downtown. it's bad. i'll post some photos saturday.
the water is topping bridge walls. has caused railroads to detour around town, those bridges are under water too. wet feet was inevitable.

Damn. Flood mojo. Tig, Tiger Roach, jaxn slim and me live in Houston. We know from flooding, and it ain't no laughing matter.

Last edited:
Floods do suck.
I lived for 15 years 3 blocks from a bay,and 2 blocks ftom the ocean. We never got hit bad by a hurricane, but the ocesn swell would often cause the bay and ocean to meet up.National Guard evacuation stuff.

Floods do suck.
I lived for 15 years 3 blocks from a bay,and 2 blocks ftom the ocean. We never got hit bad by a hurricane, but the ocesn swell would often cause the bay and ocean to meet up.National Guard evacuation stuff.
we are not looking at a once in 500 years or a once in 1000 years.......we're looking at a once in"it ain't never happened before" situation.
hence the photo documentation for 2 days. when i can find a way to get there.

we are not looking at a once in 500 years or a once in 1000 years.......we're looking at a once in"it ain't never happened before" situation.
hence the photo documentation for 2 days. when i can find a way to get there.
Oh that is real bad.
We knew a Nor Easter or tropical storm was coming and could prepare or evacuate.
If it is a freak there isn't any time to plan.
Major mojo.

Oh that is real bad.
We knew a Nor Easter or tropical storm was coming and could prepare or evacuate.
If it is a freak there isn't any time to plan.
Major mojo.
the river is expected to top 18 FEET above flood stage. the north half of the city is almost completely cut of from the south half, except for one roadway bridge that's built ABOVE a railroad bridge, and the R.R. bridge is impassable. it's a f'ing parking lot. you CAN get around it, but you have to go 20 miles out of your way to do it.

I think my buddy Nathan lives in Findley... small world.

He posted about the floods earlier today. Pretty crazy.

On a related crazy note, we are under a Red Flag Warning (extreme brush fire risk), it's 8:34 PM, still over 90 degrees out, dangerously windy, and my stupid gawddammmed next door neighbors thought it was the perfect evening for a backyard bonfire...

I crap you negative.

I returned home from the store a few minutes ago to find my house shrouded in a thick haze of smoke. The neighbors next door on the opposite side were standing in my driveway looking for the source. Not a full minute went by before a fire truck pulled up...

Yeah, so the firefighters weren't real happy with the dickheads next door. They asked them to put it out, which they did... with water... now my house is full of fucking smoke and smells like a damned brush fire.

And my gawddammmed air conditioning still isn't working, so of course every door and window was open.

These people are the biggest fucktwits I've ever met. Hands down. Winner.

the boss sent back down to Findlay again today to get more pics.
here are a few of the pics i took. ::)(

this is an intersection downtown Findlay.

35926540665_1324d1c173_b.jpg

35794717291_f7e3116f99_b.jpg

state route 224 right off I-75, looking west.
35794708171_a32a1f33e4_b.jpg

this is Main Street Bridge. the water level is generally about 7-8 FEET below the bridge, and this was yesterday afternoon. the river crested at around noon TODAY!!!. the water went around the bridge and flooded 2 blocks up and down from the bridge.
35538115270_ed572322f4_b.jpg

this poor farmer's property is bordered by the Blanchard River, about 5 miles west of town. i don't even know what to say about this one.
35794712781_3f9da799f8_b.jpg

Last edited:
Weebz is originally from Findlay, isn't he? I seem to remember him being from somewhere in that area, anyways.

My ancestors founded McComb, OH in 1815 or so. Or helped? I have land grants dated 1815, 1817 and 1818. They stayed there WAY too long, and family folklore suggests that Findlay was "the big city" nearest dear old McComb. My grandfather (who was the last generation in McComb before he lost his farm in the Depression, see pic below) and I were incredibly close.

I love the people of western Ohio. This pains me to see. I'm very sorry for the hurt for those involved.

pop.jpg

My ancestors founded McComb, OH in 1815 or so. Or helped? I have land grants dated 1815, 1817 and 1818. They stayed there WAY too long, and family folklore suggests that Findlay was "the big city" nearest dear old McComb. My grandfather (who was the last generation in McComb before he lost his farm in the Depression, see pic below) and I were incredibly close.

I love the people of western Ohio. This pains me to see. I'm very sorry for the hurt for those involved.

View attachment 35027

the reason i was sent down to Findlay to do all this photo documentation is that we are working with the city to make some engineering changes to the Blanchard river to remedy the flooding issues. we're going to widen the river west of town and give it a spill out zone to decrease the surge effect.

Back