Hot or Not? Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb (FSR Mahogany Cane)

Tig

Fucktangular
22-watt Vintage Reissue Tube Guitar Combo Amp with a Single 12" Celestion Alnico Blue Speaker, 2 Input Channels, Tube Reverb, and Vibrato - FSR African Mahogany Cabinet with Cain Grille Cloth Cover

$1474

65DeluxeRFSRMC-xlarge.jpg

1600-65DeluxeRFSRMC_detail1.jpg

SpecificationDetail
TypeTube
Number of Channels2
Power22W
Speakers1 x 12" Celestion Alnico Blue
EffectsNo Effects
ReverbYes
EQTreble, Bass
Amp ModelingNo Amp Modeling
Number of Models0
Preamp Tubes4 x 12AX7, 2 X 12AT7
Power Tubes2 x 6V6, 1 x 5AR4 (Rectifier)
Inputs2 x Instrument (Normal), 2 x Instrument (Vibrato
Outputs2 x Speaker
Footswitch I/OYes
Effects LoopNo Effects Loop
Height17.5"
Width24.5"
Depth9.5"
Weight42 lbs.

It's ok. I like DRRIs, and I love finished wood cabinets. But this just doesn't do it for me.

not necessarily, but why should a 22 watt amp cost that much?
I don't think I paid that for my whole bass rig...

I'm not sure how to express what I'm thinking here, sorry.
just seems like a lot of money for very little amp, I guess...?

not necessarily, but why should a 22 watt amp cost that much?
I don't think I paid that for my whole bass rig...

I'm not sure how to express what I'm thinking here, sorry.
just seems like a lot of money for very little amp, I guess...?

I agree that it's probably not worth $1500, but the wattage doesn't really factor into it for me. The value to me is more about the individual components, the way the components are put together, and the resulting quality of sound. With high quality components and construction, $1500 is pretty reasonable for an amp of any wattage.

And in this case for Fender, it's probably about the increased cost of a smaller batch stained wood cabinet. The disconnect for me is that the stained cabinet isn't worth $500 more than the tolexed one. If they had gone with the brown faceplate, it might have worked better.

Last edited:
I agree that it's probably not worth $1500, but the wattage doesn't really factor into it for me. The value to me is more about the individual components, the way the components are put together, and the resulting quality of sound. With high quality components and construction, $1500 is pretty reasonable for an amp of any wattage.

pretty much this. I paid $1500 used for my 38 watt SUhr Badger, which goes for $2400 IIRC. And thats a head only, no cab.

I get ya.
thing is, if I were buying this for the stage, 22 watts wouldn't cut it for the stuff I do.
loud drummers and all :wink:

I've no doubt it sounds fantastic, though.

I dig the look, makes it look like really old furniture to me.
but yeah, Tolex would be the logical choice.

I had a really old Twin Reverb years back that I had to strip off the Tolex.
it was all covered in cig burns and such.
sanded the wood nice & smooth, and sealed it.
looked great, and sounded like Heaven (or Hell, depending on yer preference :wink: )

ended up having to sell it to pay rent, which was one of the hardest things I've ever done.
but it went to a good pal, and he still has it to this day.
that was about 20 years ago or so.

I used to run it with a Marshall 4/12 hooked up to it, ball-blasting loud-ass metal.
that was for the left side of the stage.
the right side was a big blocky Traynor head (couple hundred watts) with an 8/12 cab.

:lol:

ridiculous, I know.

but we sounded awesome :wink:

The standard '65 Deluxe Reverb without the mahogany cab, cain grill, and Alnico Blue speaker runs about $950.

I could live without the cosmetic upgrades and have just the Alnico Blue.

I bought my scratch 'n' dent DRRI for $820. The only real difference is the speaker, which costs $300. I could buy a speaker, save myself $350, and imagine it has a fancy cabinet.

I really like DRRI's, though the modern circuit with an Alnico speaker might be way to treble heavy since it already has that tendency and the speaker will just make it worse. The cabinet looks nice, but the DRRI is a club amp and I would not want to bring an amp that has that nice of a cabinet into a club constantly.

So - no thanks.

I really like DRRI's, though the modern circuit with an Alnico speaker might be way to treble heavy since it already has that tendency and the speaker will just make it worse. The cabinet looks nice, but the DRRI is a club amp and I would not want to bring an amp that has that nice of a cabinet into a club constantly.

So - no thanks.

Excellent point. I didn't know they were already that treble prone.

I'd love to own a standard DRRI.

This. Deluxe Reverbs are one of my favourite amps.

This... My old 1964 blackface I paid $265 for in 1990 was perhaps the best amp I've ever owned. I gigged the shit out of that amp. Like a dumbass I sold it when they got to be worth a ton of money and I was no longer playing, even casually.

Back