Cooking wine...how long is the shelf-life?

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
As long as it smells ok and not vinegry?

I found an unopened bottle of red cooking wine that I had bought years ago (maybe 6-7+?) shoved back behind my spices on a little shelf under my microwave. No expiration date on it. I opened it and it still smelled like red wine, so I'm using it in my crockpot as I type this :embarrassed:

I think I bought it originally to try and make sauerbraten, then never got around to making it.

I don't mess with cooking wine; I just buy a bottle of cheap red.

Reactions: Tig
I'm not a wine expert, but if it hadn't been opened I would imagine it's still "good." Not that it was ever good to begin with, but it probably won't kill you.

We usually keep a four-pack of those little bottles of wine you find at the grocery store. They're probably the same brand as the "house wine" you get at a restaurant.

Should be OK as long as the cork didn't get too dry. Open it at take a sniff. You'll know right away if it turned.

Finally we can use this smiley for it's original purpose!
:cs:

Yep, if you have any doubt, run it through a coffee filter into a measuring cup.

If the filter ends up with all kinds of shit in it, pour it out.

What is this salted cooking wine you speak of? I just open a bottle of "drinking" wine when I need some to cook with, and we drink the rest... probably it doesn't even survive the meal that was being cooked.

I know of cooking sherry for some things, is that what we are talking about? I never heard of it being salted but it is a fortified wine so I'm not keen on drinking it anyway.

What is this salted cooking wine you speak of? I just open a bottle of "drinking" wine when I need some to cook with, and we drink the rest... probably it doesn't even survive the meal that was being cooked.

I know of cooking sherry for some things, is that what we are talking about? I never heard of it being salted but it is a fortified wine so I'm not keen on drinking it anyway.
Cooking wine exists. It's just not something real chefs use.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

not that we've ever cooked with wine, but if we did, it would come out of this:

080788_product_front.jpg

I'm contemplating going to get some now, actually.

My rich, extremely superficial brother-in-law is quite the wine snob. My Dad loves to bring a box wine to gathering just to fuck with him. My Dad is fun! :cool:

Last edited:
Back