Car of the Week: 1986 Mustang GT

img_1504.jpg

img_1527.jpg

img_1514.jpg

img_1521.jpg

[i had a 1985 GT. the 1986 was the first year for the fuel injection and they kinda sucked. the injection had so much lag to it, that when you tried to launch the car, you'd get nothing for a second-ish, then burning tires and no forward movement. a friend had one and my '85 would blow his doors off every time.]

There’s a small ding in the driver’s side door of Bill Epright’s 1986 Ford Mustang GT. The little imperfection has been there for many years, and wouldn’t even be worth noticing or mentioning if it weren’t for one inescapable fact: The tiny scratch is about the only blemish on the entire car.

Does the nick still bother Epright after all this time? “Yes! Yes it does!” he says with a wry chuckle. “But I’ll leave it because this way the car is all original and I didn’t tamper with anything. But yes, it bugs me, because I didn’t put it there!”
[skip]
By 1986 the 5.0 Mustang was in full gallop and Ford wisely didn’t make many drastic changes from year to year. The 1986 ’Stangs only had a few modest tweeks, including added sound-deadening material and a single-key locking system. A revised port-type fuel-injection system and a 200-hp V-8 for GT models were other changes. Ford continued to offer an 88-hp four-cylinder engine and a 120-hp throttle body-injected V-6 in Mustangs, but the updated 5.0-liter HO V-8 was standard in GTs. It was revised from 1985’s four-barrel carburetor induction system to a multi-port fuel injection system and lost 10 hp in the process, although performance was still quite impressive. The 302-cid cast-iron V-8 had a 9.2:1 compression ratio and produced 200 hp at 4000 rpm and 285 lbs.-ft. of torque at 3000 rpm.

read more:https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/features/car-of-the-week-1986-mustang-gt

Reminds me of the first car I used to drive minus the fast engine. My Moms white Mercury Capri hatchback.
They never run the same after wrapping them around a tree. Sorry Mom!
Found this picture online
mercury-1982-rally-sport-rebuilt-302-v8-5-spd-posi-rear-dual-exhaust-compete-2.j.jpg

All Mustangs are beautiful. Fox-bodies are among the very best.
thank you.
the 83/84 almost singlehandedly revived the muscle car movement. my 85 would clock both the camaros and even some vettes and they were NOT happy about that shit. :bigg:
i do have to admit, tho, that mine was NOT stock. it wasn't some kind of pro street beast, but except for the PCV, all the p0llution controls were gone.
no cat, no air pump, none of that nonsense. re-did the exhaust to make it "uncatalized". also 650 Holley dual feed, double pumper, high output fuel pump and 255 rear tires/235 fronts.
those 255's would hook pretty good. :idea:

thank you.
the 83/84 almost singlehandedly revived the muscle car movement. my 85 would clock both the camaros and even some vettes and they were NOT happy about that shit. :bigg:
i do have to admit, tho, that mine was NOT stock. it wasn't some kind of pro street beast, but except for the PCV, all the p0llution controls were gone.
no cat, no air pump, none of that nonsense. re-did the exhaust to make it "uncatalized". also 650 Holley dual feed, double pumper, high output fuel pump and 255 rear tires/235 fronts.
those 255's would hook pretty good. :idea:
My girlfreinds son bought a 2020 Mustang a couple of weeks ago.
Same color and rims as this.
th.jpeg-9.jpg

I had the exact same Mustang as in the original picture. A 1986 GT in medium canyon red. It was a cool ride at the time. I remember it being a really fast street car during that time, and my current station wagon outperforms it in every way, even loaded with groceries.

The Mustang I learned how to drive stick on looked like the car in the OP. It was actually a 1980 Ghia (2.8L) that had a 351W (5.8L) wedged between the shock towers and my brother put an '86 set of fenders and fascia on it. The thing popped wheelies with ease. LOL My current Mustang is a '12 GT with 412HP and it actually doesn't touch that car. No idea where it went after my brother sold it, though.

My brother had a 1983? Mercury Capri 5.0, with the manual. While it wasnt a garage queen, there was always something minor that needed fixing on it.

Back