Car of the Week: 1976 Cadillac Calais 'L'Etoile'

[back in the "Land Yacht" days.....]

dsc_8011.jpg

dsc_7998.jpg

dsc_8014.jpg

dsc_8016.jpg

(500 C.I. V8)

For several years, famed Warren, Mich., Cadillac dealer Roger Rinke made a star out of one example of Cadillac’s humblest model. Each model year during at least part of the 1970s, Rinke special-ordered a single Calais, the least-expensive Cadillac model, and decked it out with options.

Once the loaded Calais was delivered to his dealership, Rinke would go farther to make the Calais shine by commissioning local custom shops to add unique features. In the case of the featured 1976 Calais, Rinke had a special vinyl top mounted to the roof; an extra chrome piece mounted at the front of the hood containing the standard Cadillac crest and V arrangement of the Calais; an additional Cadillac hood ornament (normally reserved for deVille models); and ample pinstriping added by locally famous pinstriper Frank Galli. Once Rinke had the car christened with “L’Etoile” scripts in place of the original “Calais” scripts on the rear fenders, a star was quite literally born, since L’Etoile, pronounced eh-twal, translates to “star” in French.

read more:https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/features/car-of-the-week-1976-cadillac-calais-letoile

Oh hell yeah. You haven’t lived until you have wheeled a plus footer!

Would love to leave the outside as it and drop a monster crate motor in it with a proper drivetrain for around 1000 hp. Would still need to float going down the highway though.

Did it come in shell pink?

I've never been a fan of Caddys. This one is worse than most, but it isn't the color in particular that bothers me. It's the landau roof and the "kneel before me, peasants" front end appointments.

Our next door neighbor back then had a similar vintage and model, except it was some kind of "buckskin" color. It was like 4 tons of rolling barf.

False advertising! There's no way you could get that through a McDonald's drive-thru.

Reactions: Tig
Back