Car of the Week: 1971 Oldsmobile 442 coupe

(there should be some love for this one!!)

img_4418-2.jpg

img_4429.jpg

img_4447.jpg

img_4440.jpg

img_4427.jpg

(no engine pic :cry: )

Matt Hofeldt took a long look at his menacing black 1971 Oldsmobile 442 coupe, slowing scanning the car from front to back and pondering the question: “Is there anything on it that you want to work on or improve?”
Finally the answer came. “No, not really. I don’t have any squawks with it. Everything is fine, in my opinion.

The W-30 455-cid engine used in the 442 had a net horsepower rating of 260. The gross horsepower rating shown in the Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-1975 is 340 at 4600 rpm. While Oldsmobile was reluctant to give out the W-30’s ratings for 1971, the 1970 rating was 470 gross hp.

read more: https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/features/car-of-the-week-1971-oldsmobile-442-coupe

Probably the most muscly looking muscle car of all time.
A friend of mine's Dad had one in blue and he only drove it on weekends.
He kept in covered in plastic year round.

2nd Gen is the last good gen but they messed up the 69-71 with that dumb front tooth.

My '68 is still apparently rolling; my mom just got a call a couple months ago from the guy in Florida who now owns it and was look for some information about the history of the car. (She's still online locatable from the address of record where it was last registered when I sold it). It was kinda nice to know it's still out there doing it.

Sweet! That's a car!
My buddy has a 68 convertible S.S
One of these decades he will finish restoring it.

Pardon the poor pictures.
20211116_184355.jpg
20211116_120308.jpg

I thought the W-30 trim pack did away with the ape-nostril hood and put the intakes low, under the bumper.

Now I really want to see under the hood and get a look how the air intake is plumbed up.

I thought the W-30 trim pack did away with the ape-nostril hood and put the intakes low, under the bumper.

Now I really want to see under the hood and get a look how the air intake is plumbed up.

i don't know about you.....but that is the best 442 i've ever seen. it's painfully gorgeous. :idea:
and yea, i'm really disappointed there's no engine pic.

i don't know about you.....but that is the best 442 i've ever seen. it's painfully gorgeous. :idea:
and yea, i'm really disappointed there's no engine pic.
I'll get some more information and have him take some better pictures. He has a few classic cars. That's his pride and joy.

yea....absolutely.
get some good pics and some info.....and i'll do a "car of the week" on his. :idea:
Okay. He's a good friend. We ride dirt bikes together. I'm supposed to buy hus XR 50 for my kid. They are parked close to the Olds.
Resized_20210822_120338.jpeg

Cleaning my YZ.
Resized_20210307_124722.jpeg

I'm not aware of GM using the SS moniker/option anywhere but Chevrolet.
Prior to 1968, 442 was an option code on the Cutlass, basically like the Chevelle SS...maybe that's what your buddy is referring to.

I'm not aware of GM using the SS moniker/option anywhere but Chevrolet.
Prior to 1968, 442 was an option code on the Cutlass, basically like the Chevelle SS...maybe that's what your buddy is referring to.
I know he said SS. He could have been referring to his Camero. I will get the scoop next time I talk to him. He has a 68 or 69 Camero too. He has a couple other cars as well. He did say the Oldsmobile is rare and worth money.

I know he said SS. He could have been referring to his Camero. I will get the scoop next time I talk to him. He has a 68 or 69 Camero too. He has a couple other cars as well. He did say the Oldsmobile is rare and worth money.

The production numbers for convertibles in '68 are low....manuals even lower. Convertibles are generally rare as a result

Back