Car of the Week: 1971 Ford Torino GT

img_3615.jpg

img_3622.jpg

(rather bland interior )
img_3650.jpg

img_3671.jpg

Dave Hartman loves white 1971 Ford Torinos so much he’s bought identical cars three times. Well, identical on the outside, anyway.

The Plover, Wis., resident is pretty sure three times is a charm. It took him three cracks at it to get exactly the one he wanted: a gorgeous — and somewhat rowdy — muscle machine that probably put an end to his Torino GT shopping. He knows it’s going to be very difficult to top the one he’s got.

read more: https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/features/car-of-the-week-1971-ford-torino-gt

It looks very cool from the outside.

I just hate the "cockpits" and instrument panels from those days. And the optional air conditioner, what a knee-knocker. :grin:

It looks very cool from the outside.

I just hate the "cockpits" and instrument panels from those days. And the optional air conditioner, what a knee-knocker. :grin:

that's because it's a dealer installed, after the fact, A/C.
factory ones had all the duct work behind the dash, and out of the way.
but that car came to the dealer without A/C and whomever bought the car had it installed. back then it really wasn't an option for the dealer to pull off the dash and install all that duct work and flapper controls and such. so it all went UNDER the dash.

Was that ac an add on? We had a 70 LTD with factory air that didn’t have knee knockers. 2 door.

duh. Next comment down.

These were always super cool in my book. I could do without the ugly laser decals on the side, but the rest is awesome

I have never been big on Torinos. They always looked like they had something off in the design.
When they went to the extended nose the following year they just didn't look right.

I have never been big on Torinos. They always looked like they had something off in the design.
When they went to the extended nose the following year they just didn't look right.
the "off" design made them win like crazy in '69, '70 & '71 on the big tracks of NASCAR, Talladega and Daytona.
they were the first of the purpose built aero cars.

Back