Car of the Week: 1971 Chevrolet Chevelle SS

img_4060.jpg

img_4120.jpg

img_4100.jpg

img_4130.jpg

From what history Bolwerk could dig up, the Chevelle had lived at least part of its life in Texas, which would help explain how it was so solid and original. He didn’t get many details about where the car had been or what had been done to it. At some point, the Chevelle had been switched from an automatic to a four-speed with a Muncie M21 and 3.31 rear gears. “Somebody really did a good job with that,” he says. “It was very clean. Every time I brought it in to have work done on it they commented how the bottom side was mint. The body panels weren’t touched.” A new paint job and some new vinyl on the seats were quite possibly the only other updates the Chevelle SS had ever needed up to that point.

read more: https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/features/car-of-the-week-1971-chevrolet-chevelle-ss

The cool thing about those A-body hardtops is when you roll down the rear windows, you don't have the B-pillar, it's open from all the way from the A-pillar back to the C-pillar.
That made them a killer car for cruising around with friends in the back seat.

I'd put up with the lime green just for the LS5.

Ah, but it's been massaged:
"Although Bolwerk’s SS is still technically an LS5, it more closely resembles a 425-hp LS6 under the hood these days after Bolwerk had the engine bored and stroked to 496 cubes."

"Although Bolwerk’s SS is still technically an LS5, it more closely resembles a 425-hp LS6 under the hood these days after Bolwerk had the engine bored and stroked to 496 cubes."
i don't think i'd "poo poo" it for that.
yea, it hurts the collector value, but not the stop light street cred. :idea:

speaking of: i saw a 70/71 SS big block slowly cruising thru the metropark i was in last weekend.
you could tell it was either a 396 or LS5.
LS6's are a bit more radical in the cam sounding.
it was LeMans blue and 4 speed....:love:

Reactions: Tig
In 1976 I was working at General Motors. A guy I worked was selling a 72 Chevelle for $1800.00. I couldn't get the money together fast enough and someone else bought it.
I may have actually cried about that one.
49007589_494867428941183_Orig.jpg

Back