Car of the Week: 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T

"An oddly configured 1970 Challenger R/T makes for great MoPar muscle."

1970-dodge-challenger-rt-440-six-pack-a026.jpg

1970-dodge-challenger-rt-440-six-pack-a138.jpg

1970-dodge-challenger-rt-440-six-pack-a404.jpg

1970-dodge-challenger-rt-440-six-pack-a430.jpg

1970-dodge-challenger-rt-440-six-pack-a106.jpg

On paper, this 1970 Challenger starts to sound like the proverbial muscle car. R/T package? Check. Wild color? Code EV2 Hemi Orange paint. Engine? 440 Six Pack. Sure Grip differential? Check. Shaker hood? Check.

Those features would certainly be at the top for anyone buying one of Ma MoPar’s finest in-your-face boulevard bruisers during the peak of the performance era. However, a deeper look at the car’s broadcast sheet tells the rest of the story: Stripes? Deleted. Rallye wheels and raised white letter tires? Nope — deluxe wheel covers and whitewalls. Console and floor shifter? How about a column-shifted automatic instead?

Seeing as this Challenger R/T was built with whitewalls and deluxe wheel covers and without even the standard R/T stripes, one might guess this car was built to be a sleeper. But there’s nothing stealthy about High Impact Hemi Orange paint, and the Shaker hood scoop with its “440 Six Pack” call-outs advertise that this Challenger R/T is anything but asleep. So what gives?

The answer may come from the period in which this oddly equipped Challenger R/T was built. In July 1970, the assembly lines at Chrysler Corp. were winding down production of the 1970 models and transitioning to the 1971 models. Just prior to the changeover at Dodge’s Hamtramck, Mich., plant, this sedate-looking 440 Six Pack Challenger R/T was birthed. It was the very last 440 Six Pack Challenger R/T to be built for the 1970 model year.

read more:https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/features/car-of-the-week-1970-dodge-challenger-r-t

On one hand, this is a very nice Challenger. Great specs.

On the other, it’s strong evidence that the Mustang and Chevelle are much better looking cars.

This does not surprise me.

There were all kinds of weird combos from that time - when you could sit down and check off the options you wanted

This does sound like a sales bank car, like the article says.

On one hand, this is a very nice Challenger. Great specs.

On the other, it’s strong evidence that the Mustang and Chevelle are much better looking cars.
not sure i agree about it's looks. the tires/hubcaps and plain interior don't help, but aside from that i still like it.
of course, i HAD one, so there's that.

Back in the day, my buddy used to say ' nice Charger' to every Challenger he saw. It was fun correcting him.

That's a nice Challenger.

Back in the day, my buddy used to say ' nice Charger' to every Challenger he saw. It was fun correcting him.

That's a nice Challenger.
those two aren't really anything alike.
now, the superbird and the daytona are a little harder to tell apart, especially if they're going by quickly.

Back