Car of the Week: 1969 Mercury Cyclone CJ

(yes, this one gives me shivers)

cyclone-small-keeper.jpg

img_1115.jpg

img_1154.jpg

img_1130.jpg

Jim Peterson made a deal with his brother Irving back in 1973 that has worked out pretty well. Irv had a beautiful 1969 Mercury Cyclone CJ 428 that Jim wanted, and Jim somehow convinced his sibling that a ’70 Cyclone would be even better.

“He bought it almost new. I fell in love with it myself when he had it and he let me drive it, so that’s how it started. I told him if ever wanted to get rid of it, I wanted it and wanted to keep it in the family,” recalls Jim, a resident of Waupaca, Wis. “Well, the ’70 Cyclone was pretty nice, too. I said, ‘You buy that one and I’ll buy this one from you,’ so he got that and that’s when I bought this ’69 from him, and I’ve had it ever since.

“We had a lot of good times, me and my brother. We each had [a Cyclone] and we’d go all over together. We were very close.”

Irv passed away a few years back, but Jim has kept the good times rolling with his beautiful, muscular Mercury. He is a fixture at area car shows and he’s easy to spot — he has the only dark blue ’69 Cyclone GT around his part of the world, and you can hear that 428 Cobra-Jet howling through the dual exhaust from quite a ways away.

“People would think it wouldn’t have that kind of power because it’s a big car, and it is a big car, but she will still whoop you if you don’t know what you’re doing,” he warns. “And it’s got that nice Torino style. That’s basically what it is.

“I just liked the style of car and the power. It had a lot of nice power.”

read more: https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/features/car-of-the-week-1969-mercury-cyclone-cj

I remember those cars. My dad had a 1970 LTD 2 door with that same bench seat and steering wheel. Mom had a accident in it and I put that front seat in the back of my van. Loved that seat.

The interior looks pretty spartan by today's standards, but that was a sweet body style. Ford made some great looking cars back then.

Back