Car of the Week: 1966 Chevelle Malibu

img_7655jpg.jpg

img_7656jpg.jpg

img_4920jpg.jpg

img_7020jpg.jpg

The original Chevrolet Chevelle was the perfect size at the perfect time and for many today, it remains the perfect car.

Gary Pietraniec of Brighton, Mich., is one of those who fell under the spell of the Chevelle early in the model’s life. He said his first ride in a true muscle car was a triple black 1966 Chevelle SS 396 that a buddy had bought new when they were just teenagers.

“My very first muscle car that I ever rode in was a triple back SS 396 with 375 hp and I left my mark on that passenger seat — my buddy really got on it!”

That fast ride in an SS 396 set Pietraniec on a path to ownership of dozens of performance cars of his own: 1958-’60 Corvettes, Mustangs with the 428 Cobra Jet, GTOs and a Plymouth Road Runner. There were even a couple super rare 1965 Ford Fairlanes with the high-performance 289. However, not one of them was the ever-popular Chevelle Super Sport. Now that a Chevelle Malibu has found him, he’s pleased that it’s not of the muscle car variety. In fact, that’s what makes his car stand apart.

read more: https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/features/car-of-the-week-1966-chevelle-malibu

One of the prettiest Chevrolets ever. All it needed was the wheels to make it look great.
My first real job out of high school was at General Motors. I started there when the 74 model year was just beginning production. Some of the most god awful looking cars GM ever put out. Made me appreciate the older cars that much more. 74 was a horrible year for Chevy.
33bcaeb13a4c7d4a64330e24acd36ad8.jpg

One of the prettiest Chevrolets ever. All it needed was the wheels to make it look great.
My first real job out of high school was at General Motors. I started there when the 74 model year was just beginning production. Some of the most god awful looking cars GM ever put out. Made me appreciate the older cars that much more. 74 was a horrible year for Chevy.
33bcaeb13a4c7d4a64330e24acd36ad8.jpg

i don't know, the '74 Z28 wasn't the worst looking car they ever made.

003-dinnell-1974-chevrolet-camaro-z28-side.jpg

I overlooked the Camaro for 74. The GM where I worked built the Chevy Malibu, the Pontiac LeMans, Olds Cutlass and Buick Century, all pretty much the same car.

Back