Car of the Week: 1960 Mercury Monterey convertible

2021-07c-60-merc-conv-photo-01.jpg

2021-07c-60-merc-conv-photo-03.jpg

2021-07c-60-merc-conv-photo-02.jpg

The entry-level full-size Merc had 102,539 assemblies for the 1960 model year. Of those, only 6,062 were Monterey convertibles such as the white car featured here. Gary and Bonnie Miller brought this beauty to the Madison Classics car show and swap meet in Jefferson, Wis. They had a new car like this one and wanted to relive the past by getting another. The convertible appeared to be in original condition, but had a later 460-cid V-8.

The Monterey convertible was one of 17 Mercury full-size models offered in four series for 1960: Monterey, Montclair, Park Lane and Station Wagon. The 1960 Mercurys had a clean, custom car look that spoke of good value. Mercury had decided to abandon the more radical “Dream Car Design” styling of the past few years and replaced it with a conservative, luxury-car image. On a model-for-model basis, prices were reduced about $200 from 1959. Special emphasis was placed on marketing the lower-priced Monterey models over the more profitable, premium-priced Montclair and Park Lane versions.

read more: https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/features/car-of-the-week-1960-mercury-monterey-convertible

wow.....60 views and no comments
i guess this one isn't very well liked.
(i don't choose them, i just post them)

I love the interior. I appreciate the car, but that jet/rocket age body style didn't age too well.

I love the interior. I appreciate the car, but that jet/rocket age body style didn't age too well.
no it didn't. but it was all the rage back then.
i think one of the "jet/rocket" body styles that has aged well is the Thunderbird, '64-'66.
they STILL look great.

I'd cruise that all over town, even though convertibles aren't very comfortable in the summer around here.
I didn't appreciate them as much way back when as I do now. They were the cars a lot of my buddy's Moms and Dads drove and certainly not as popular then as Fords and Chevies.

Back