Car of the Week: 1957 DeSoto Fireflite convertible

[i guess it's becoming the "Car of the Every Other Week" :mad: ]

desoto-12.jpg

desoto-7.jpg

desoto-13.jpg

desoto-5.jpg

desoto-8.jpg

(341 c.i. Hemi 4bbl)

Chad Caldwell had to go a little out of his way to acquire his fabulous 1957 DeSoto Fireflite convertible. Caldwell actually has five of the ’57 Desoto droptops, and he actually had to go more than a little out of his way for this one — more like 1,000 miles or so round trip.

Like all his other efforts to find, restore and care for his beloved DeSotos, however, the Newnam, Ga., resident says it was worth every bit of the extra effort. The adventure also reminded Caldwell that it’s always a good idea to network with fellow old lovers and not to be afraid to leave your phone number. You never know when something good might come of it.

read more:https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/features/car-of-the-week-1957-desoto-fireflite-convertible

Last edited:
DeSoto was always such a weird brand. I mean, for most of their time they existed as a weird mid range Chrysler thing that was no so well differentiated from other autos from the other Chrysler brands. I think they died with a yawn, so it is interesting to see someone that cared enough about them to restore one. It isn't a bad looking car for that era, but I am not aware of anyone saying 'man I wish I could own a desoto'. I guess it is cool to have one, as it isn't another 57 chevy at the car show.

DeSoto was always such a weird brand. I mean, for most of their time they existed as a weird mid range Chrysler thing that was no so well differentiated from other autos from the other Chrysler brands. I think they died with a yawn, so it is interesting to see someone that cared enough about them to restore one. It isn't a bad looking car for that era, but I am not aware of anyone saying 'man I wish I could own a desoto'. I guess it is cool to have one, as it isn't another 57 chevy at the car show.
apparently, in the early - mid 50's, the chrysler, desoto and dodge hemi's were all different. the desoto hemi was in fact a desoto development.
http://www.victorylibrary.com/mopar/desoto-c.htm

Top photo is of the side but, you see a little of the front, I thought that's odd for back then, was expecting a big grill. Looked a pic of just the front. Then I got sidetracked when I saw this pic of a hardtop, it reminds me of the Batmobile. :grin:

de-soto-2b.jpg

oh...i don't know.....

54448231f9193_hd_1957-chrysler-windsor.jpg
This car has a grill, where I would expect a grill.
The DeSoto doesn't even have a grill unless you count the little bit at the very bottom, which is not very ornate. It does have a huge ass bumper, I guess that counts.

This car has a grill, where I would expect a grill.
The DeSoto doesn't even have a grill unless you count the little bit at the very bottom, which is not very ornate. It does have a huge ass bumper, I guess that counts.
it kind of has a "chin grill" :bigg:

Back