Car of the Week: 1956 Ford Fairlane

img_1421jpg.jpg

img_1425jpg.jpg

1956-ford-img_1457jpg.jpg

img_1427jpg.jpg

Dallas Israel of Oregon considers his 1956 Ford Town Sedan to be a survivor, but not because it has its original paint, chrome and interior and low miles. It’s survived Israel learning to drive, going to college, three wrecks, a failed trade-in attempt and three marriages. Most recently, it survived the 2020 Riverside Fire in Oregon that came within a mile of Israel’s home.

“My father bought the car in 1959,” he said. “I learned to drive in it -— I have been driving the car since 1962.”

Israel’s father found the Ford through a friend that had used the car to haul a trailer. Such work can mechanically tax a vehicle, but Israel’s father knew the Ford had been well maintained during its chores.

Although Israel learned to drive on the 1956 Ford, it wasn’t his first choice for a car. That honor goes to an Austin-Healey, even if it was a short-lived affair.

“I got this (Ford) from him to replace my first car, a 1959 Austin-Healey Sprite, which was pretty fragile for a teenager. I had problems with the transmission and every time we needed to work on it, we had to pull the engine. Dad got tired of that and he paid me $150 to get rid of the Sprite, and he sold the Ford to me for $150, so he got his money back and got rid of the Sprite.”

The sale was back in 1965, and Isreal and the Ford have together ever since — including through some rocky periods. Those trials seem to have made Israel appreciate the ’56 Ford even more.

“There is a lot of sentimental value to it since my dad is, of course, gone,” he said. “I remember taking trips from Tracy [Calif.] to Bakersfield to see my grandparents, and I had my first date in the car. I can’t pinpoint one thing. It got me through college and just growing up.”
read more: https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/features/car-of-the-week-1956-ford-fairlane

All these need to be updated is a set of wheels. A buddy of mine had one in high school, shackles on the leaf springs so he could run super wide tires.
I wish I'd bought up every old car and every old guitar I had room for back then.
The best thing about the 50's cars; a back seat the size of a couch.

Back