Car of the Week: 1953 Chevrolet One-Fifty

img_3476jpg.jpg

img_3479jpg.jpg

img_3481jpg.jpg

img_3493jpg.jpg

At 22 years of age in 1953, Doris Phillips had a good job and was living on her family’s farm near Dowagiac, Mich. She was able to get to work and back, but she really wanted her own car. Dowagiac was home to Don Flemming Chevrolet, and one day Doris stopped to admire the new ’53 Chevys there. She decided that a Bel Air two-door hardtop with an automatic transmission and the Blue Flame 6 cylinder would suit her just fine.

When she approached her father, Russell, with her plan, he had a different idea. He said that it would be wise for her first car to be purchased with cost and economy in mind. He suggested she consider a minimally optioned and much more reasonably priced Chevrolet One-Fifty, which would mean no snazzy two-tone hardtop and no automatic transmission. Doris respected her father’s advice and decided that he was probably right. Doris bought her new 1953 Chevrolet One-Fifty at Don Flemming Chevrolet, just as her father had suggested. However, she did get one very important option on her new car: an AM radio.

read more: https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/features/car-of-the-week-1953-chevrolet-one-fifty

I had a 54 Belair that I loved, but ended up trading it for a 55 Chevy pickup. It was a six cylinder automatic. It wasn't fast, but it was comfy. The backseat was the size of a couch. I love the chubby, cartoonish looking styling. The early 50s Chevies just looked like happy cars.

We had one of those until my mother wrapped it (literally) around a phone pole. I think we had it a month. I remember my mother bitching because she got charged $75 for the pole.

It's been 2 weeks since a 'car of the week' @mongooz , just sayin' :cop:
the last 2 weeks they've put up crap, so i didn't post it. last week was a '32 FORD hot rod with a CHEVY engine in it. i'll NEVER post that shit. put a 289/302/351 in the fucker and get on with it. :idea:.
(sorry, i have a very strong aversion to putting bastard engines in cars)

the new car of the week posts usually happen on tues/wed, so we'll see.

Back