Car of the Week: 1940 Dodge half-ton pickup

we're kind of on a old Pickup roll here. :shrug:

40-dodge-small.jpg

img_1293c.jpg

img_1284c.jpg

He might not ever try it again, but for one glorious occasion, Mike Klatt was able to put one over on his wife.

The end result was a show-stopping, restored-to-like-new 1940 Dodge half-ton pickup that originally belonged to Klatt’s grandfather. The tale of how the truck was pulled from its long slumber and restored to its former glory is a happy story that both Mike and Dana, his wife, will be telling for years.

“My grandpa had it originally. I don’t know for sure if he bought it new,” Mike recalls. “You bet, I remember it. And I remember riding with Grandpa. He always smoked big cigars and chewed Plow Boy Tobacco. I’ll always remember that … Then eventually my brother [Norby] had it and he didn’t really drive it — maybe on Saturdays to the dump once in a while. He wasn’t the kind of guy that would ever restore it or anything, but I wanted to someday restore it if I could.”

Norby inherited the truck in 1977 and had it until sometime in the 1980s when Mike finally found a way to get it away from him. “He had an old ’70s-something pickup and the transmission was bad, and I had a buddy that had a car repair shop,” Mike remembers. “I said, ‘I’ll put a transmission in it if you give me that old truck.’ So after a few beers one night we put a transmission in his truck and I got the title for this truck!”

The good news was he had the truck. The bad news is that it was deteriorating badly, didn’t run and Klatt, a plumbing contractor, had neither the time or ambition to restore it. So he retired the Dodge to a storage unit owned by a friend and the truck went into a lengthy hibernation.

read more: https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/features/car-of-the-week-1940-dodge-half-ton-pickup

Very pretty, but it's a Mopar, so that's strike 2.5 (last Mopar I drove was my mom's Plymouth Duster which caught on fire and burned up while I was driving it from Chicago to Madison...)

Very pretty, but it's a Mopar, so that's strike 2.5 (last Mopar I drove was my mom's Plymouth Duster which caught on fire and burned up while I was driving it from Chicago to Madison...)
i don't think those old cars/trucks had the same problems as the 70's ones did.

Interesting placement of the spinner knob on the steering wheel. You'd have to be the Hulk to utilize it backing up and around something. Never drove and old Dodge, but got to drive a 51 Chevy a bit. Growing up with cars and trucks that didn't have power steering I would say it really wasn't bad driving it. To someone who has always had power steering I think it would be fun to watch them drive it around town. You know, to see it they got any fingers broken. My favorite thing is looking out over those hoods.

Interesting placement of the spinner knob on the steering wheel. You'd have to be the Hulk to utilize it backing up and around something. Never drove and old Dodge, but got to drive a 51 Chevy a bit. Growing up with cars and trucks that didn't have power steering I would say it really wasn't bad driving it. To someone who has always had power steering I think it would be fun to watch them drive it around town. You know, to see it they got any fingers broken. My favorite thing is looking out over those hoods.
my first car, a 1968 Fairlane GT, didn't have power steering either and you had to kind of "plan" turning the wheel and slower speeds. :bigg:

Back