Car of the Week: 1936 Studebaker Dictator

img_1939.jpg

img_1999.jpg

img_1963.jpg

img_1949.jpg

img_1959.jpg

“I had a 1935 four-door sedan and I bought that in
Oshkosh, Wisconsin, and I was driving that around,” recalled Frye. “Well, I went down to South Bend, Indiana, for a meet, and visited the person, Rick Zolas, that owned this car. He was from South Bend and he owned this and had it all apart and was in the process of restoring it... I saw the car with just the frame and engine in and stuff like that, and that was in May. Then in December, I get a call from my friend Ken Voight that Rick had passed away. Ken had owned the car previously and he was going to get this car back.”

At that point, both Studebaker guys had something the other one wanted — Voight wanted Frye’s ’35 sedan, and Frye had his eyes on the work-in-progress ’36 coupe. It wasn’t long before they made a deal for a Studebaker swap.

read more: https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/features/car-of-the-week-1936-studebaker-dictator

img_1939.jpg

img_1999.jpg

img_1963.jpg

img_1949.jpg

img_1959.jpg

“I had a 1935 four-door sedan and I bought that in
Oshkosh, Wisconsin, and I was driving that around,” recalled Frye. “Well, I went down to South Bend, Indiana, for a meet, and visited the person, Rick Zolas, that owned this car. He was from South Bend and he owned this and had it all apart and was in the process of restoring it... I saw the car with just the frame and engine in and stuff like that, and that was in May. Then in December, I get a call from my friend Ken Voight that Rick had passed away. Ken had owned the car previously and he was going to get this car back.”

At that point, both Studebaker guys had something the other one wanted — Voight wanted Frye’s ’35 sedan, and Frye had his eyes on the work-in-progress ’36 coupe. It wasn’t long before they made a deal for a Studebaker swap.

read more: https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/features/car-of-the-week-1936-studebaker-dictator

What else is there to be said? It fucks. :shrug:

I love it, but do sort of have to wonder about a car being name "Dictator" in the 30s. Wouldn't that have been more of a Ford thing (Henry Ford being so chummy with Hitler and all...)

Back