Help! Breedlove, Guild, or Yamaha 12-string Guitar?

SnarkAttack

Canadian
OK, you all now get to weigh in on my next guitar purchase. I need a 12-string guitar. I used to have an Ovation Standard Balladeer 12. I liked it. But it's long gone and Ovation is going away.

I've narrowed it down to these three. I'm buying in about three weeks. All are under $600 and price is not a factor otherwise.

Breedlove PURSUIT-12

Guild F-2512E

Yamaha FG820-12

I just bought a Guild F-251E.

I love it. I find it very easy to play. I've also played a Breedlove 12 (not sure which one) and also found it to be pretty finger friendly. I can't say that I A B'd them, so I can't say much on that. I am very biased in favor of the Guild.

TRY FIRST.

I haven't played any of these particular models. I have in the past played all 3 brands.
Yamaha makes a fine guitar. They sound good, no frills working guitar.
Breedlove: I seriously was considering one before I got my Taylor. A lot of guitar for the money. Aesthetically I don't care for the cutaway shape.
Guild: I love the jumbo. And I feel Guild is a well time -tested name brand with a great reputation for quality. I'd bet that this guitar sounds incredible.
My vote is for the Guild.

I played a $600 level Guild 12-string a few years ago and was underwhelmed. I played some $600 level Breedloves and was even more underwhelmed. I once owned a Yamaha 12-string and the only problem I had was the top E string sat a bit too close to the end of the fret board and sometimes your finger went off the board when making a G chord; the tone was beautiful. So, that is a TL/DR way of saying Yamaha.

I must say that my all-time favorite 12-string A/E guitar remains my Luna Trinity 12-string. They are no longer in production, but the tone and ease of playing blew me away; you can still find some new online, and they are about $500. That and the Trinity 6-string are the two Lunas I will not let go.

Last edited:
I used to recommend Alvarez 12 strings, but I've seen too many of them lately with tops that have cracked on the seam, including my own.

In that price range I'd suggest a Seagull, which you can add a pickup to, or get a slightly more expensive model with built in A/E.

Out of the options listed, I'd probably lean towards the Breedlove myself.

I would just reinforce the "TRY FIRST" from @instantsteve at that price point. I love Guild guitars (I have two older ones) but I on't think that there is a standout brnd in that price range based on what I tried at Namm.

I don't remember any actively stocking Breedlove dealers in the Philadelphia area so it might be a challenge to find one locally but I also think playing them is the way to go.
That said, I've always been surprised with Yamaha's affordable acoustics; they often compare favorably with other guitars in and sometimes above their price point.

Yeah, I am in the TRY FIRST camp, but from a personal G.A.S. perspective, I would be most excited about the Guild.

Yeah, I am in the TRY FIRST camp, but from a personal G.A.S. perspective, I would be most excited about the Guild.
That is where I was, until I tried the Guild. The same place also had a $2000 Guild that didn't impress me that much more. The Guild of today isn't the Guild that I longed for in the 60s. That, of course, is my own personal tastes talking; others may love the sound.

That is where I was, until I tried the Guild. The same place also had a $2000 Guild that didn't impress me that much more. The Guild of today isn't the Guild that I longed for in the 60s. That, of course, is my own personal tastes talking; others may love the sound.
I'll just have to steal Roger Hodgson's Guild, then.

I'll just have to steal Roger Hodgson's Guild, then.

That does sound nice. That is the sound I was looking for but didn't hear in the two Guilds I tried. I understood the $600 one not sounding so good, but was disappointed that the costlier one didn't have that sound, either.

Not all the new Guilds I played were equal. The reboot of the M-20 parlor left me underwhelmed, and that was after playing several. I will insist though, that the new Cordoba Guilds are better than what Fender was making when they owned the brand.

Not all the new Guilds I played were equal. The reboot of the M-20 parlor left me underwhelmed, and that was after playing several. I will insist though, that the new Cordoba Guilds are better than what Fender was making when they owned the brand.
One can hope. Guild was always a respected brand.

Now I've added a Seagull into the mix. I like the shorter scale. Unfortunately, none of the guitars I'm considering appears to be carried by any shop in the Philadelphia area. ???

Unheard and unseen I'd bet on the Yami being the sturdiest. Which is of primary importance for a 12. Sound would be standard midrange Yami, IME they don't vary much, not the best but very consistent. But I'd really want to try the Breedlove, in that price range the six strings are lotsa bang for the buck. I'd also wana evaluate the Guild and the Seagull. I'd have to weigh sound vs stability and sturdiness carefully.
Then if you throw in Electronics, that's a whole nother variable. I'm kinda picky in that regard.
If you can't try any of em, research the Electronics in the Yami, if they seem to be reputable, I'd prob go there if I couldn't try any of em out.

But really I prefer to install my own pickups unless the guitar has something in it I know is good.
I like LR Baggs stuff. Fishman seems hit or miss to me.

I would never buy an acoustic without trying first. At least not unless it was a brand like Taylor or Martin where you know exactly what you’ll get. And I would go to a big city to try them in a store that actually replaces the factory strings. It’s amazing how good some cheap guitars sound when they’re not using six month old Asian strings.

I would never buy an acoustic without trying first. At least not unless it was a brand like Taylor or Martin where you know exactly what you’ll get. And I would go to a big city to try them in a store that actually replaces the factory strings. It’s amazing how good some cheap guitars sound when they’re not using six month old Asian strings.
I agree...I played several Taylors before I bought mine. I did buy it online from a store in Arizona but I knew what I was getting.

Back