bass amp

Chad

Slender Hobbit
I need to get a bass rig, but haven't gigged or played bass in a band for almost a decade. What is out there these days? How much power do I need? I want something light, these old bones can't lug around a 90 lbs 4x10 cab anymore.

I'd say at least 300 watts to gig with, and probably more...its not the same as a guitar amp where lower wattages work better. We have a small Ashdown combo that was pretty cheap here in the studio that sounds pretty good.

I gig with an Ashdown MAG300 head and either an Avatar B212Neo or GK 210 cab. The Avatar cab is as big as a 410, but about 1/2 the weight. The GK is a tiny little thing, and weighs a little less than the Avatar, but I can fit the bass head, bass cab, Classic 30, and 112 extension cab in the trunk of our car.

Both cabs are 8 ohm and the head is rated at 300 watts for 4 ohms. That means I'm getting max 200 watts using only one cab, and either of them can hold their own (as long as you also run a DI to the board). With both cabs, I get the full 300 watts and that's more than enough for just about any situation.

My gig rig that I just finished consists of an Eden Preamp

TheEdenPreamp.jpg

QSC GX3 Power Amp (300 Watts)

qsc_gx3.jpg

and a GK 2-10MBX Cab.

GK210MBX.jpg

If I ever get another cab, it will be a GK 1-15. The GX3 has a built in crossover to run both cabs.

GK cab, the neos are very light. 30 pounds if I remember right. The headshell for the Peavey Renown was a temporary soloution, till summer when I could do something out in the garage.

P1050599.jpg

I'd say at least 300 watts to gig with, and probably more...its not the same as a guitar amp where lower wattages work better. We have a small Ashdown combo that was pretty cheap here in the studio that sounds pretty good.

While I'd like more, my main gigging bass amp is 200W (admittedly I most often gig with it into an Ampeg 8x10 that pushes a lot of air) and that's never been problematic, even when using a 1x15 instead.

With a line-out or mic'd one could probably get away with a 100-150W 1x15 combo no prob, unless the band was playing mind-numbingly loud. There are tons of old, very reliable Peavey TNT 1x15 combos (and many other similar makes/models, for example, I used to have a similar Randall 1x15 combo) out there that can be picked up for very little dosh. That's what I'd look for an entry-level gigging bass rig. However, they aren't light. I'd forget about "light" and concentrate on finding something with casters.

While I'd like more, my main gigging bass amp is 200W (admittedly I most often gig with it into an Ampeg 8x10 that pushes a lot of air) and that's never been problematic, even when using a 1x15 instead.

With a line-out or mic'd one could probably get away with a 100-150W 1x15 combo no prob, unless the band was playing mind-numbingly loud. There are tons of old, very reliable Peavey TNT 1x15 combos (and many other similar makes/models, for example, I used to have a similar Randall 1x15 combo) out there that can be picked up for very little dosh. That's what I'd look for an entry-level gigging bass rig. However, they aren't light. I'd forget about "light" and concentrate on finding something with casters.

back in the early 90s I used a Peavey 1x15 cab and a 150 watt head and I never had a problem. We always had a PA, so that was probably why. Peavey's bass amps are rock solid.

GK cab, the neos are very light. 30 pounds if I remember right. The headshell for the Peavey Renown was a temporary soloution, till summer when I could do something out in the garage.

P1050599.jpg

I am looking into the GK cabs. I like the light weight. They have just released those cabs with a built in power amp, not really a combo, but something to add to your amp or use a preamp with.

so it looks like 300 watt or more, that will get me going. Once I get up to VA, I will start shopping. There is one guitar shop I used to go to all the time, I hope it is still there.

I am looking into the GK cabs. I like the light weight. They have just released those cabs with a built in power amp, not really a combo, but something to add to your amp or use a preamp with.

That is quite interesting, never herd of them before. Went to MF, and poked around, they have this for $350 1x15 200 watts, 37 lbs. Sounds like a bargain, for what you get. Ships 12/14/12, just in time for X mas.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...115mbp-1x15-bass-powered-speaker-cabinet-200w

Also, looked for my cab, was wondering how close I was on weight. MF has no GK 2x10 cabs, or I can't find them. Found a 2x10 combo 33 lbs. So, I was probably close.

Also here is another pic of the Peavey, does not match the cab. D:

P1060525.jpg

If you want light.

4415000000_frt_wlg_001.jpg

That's 400 watts and 3.8 pounds.

It costs $650 and I have no idea if they sound good or not, but you're probably not gonna find much better watts to weight ratio. :grin:

I use an old PA head and 2 2x10 cabs. Works ok. I'm not a bass player, so I haven't wanted to pour too much into it. I have a really nice Ibanez bass that I picked up for free, and a decent acoustic bass. I'm happy. However, I was just researching bass heads and GK has a nice little one cheap. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...-krueger-mb200-200w-ultra-light-bass-amp-head Looks like this would be perfect for a lot of applications and you can't beat the price.

BASS AMP
USED GALLIEN KRUEGER BACKLINE 600 300W BASS HEAD @

Details »

Amps

Guitar Center Flint

Flint, Michigan 48507

810-720-3863

View Store's Used Inventory

Contact Store

Now Only
$124.99

BASS AMP