An interesting article about Alembic guitars and basses

Thanks for the heads-up. I remember some of their stuff being comparably priced to PRS in the late '80s and early '90s, but clearly they've gone to another level since that time if they're charging $18K per these days. But I think we're talking about custom pieces compared to anything close to production that they've created.

Cool read though.

I'd love to try one, but even as skilled, customized and famous as they are, I can't possibly conceive that they justify those prices. It's insane.

They sound like cool, passionate people though. Too bad they're Deadheads. :tongue:

I get by some how with a gross sales intake equal to about 6-7 of their 18,500 dollar instruments... so I'm sure they will continue to be around for quite a while.

I'd love to try one, but even as skilled, customized and famous as they are, I can't possibly conceive that they justify those prices. It's insane.

They sound like cool, passionate people though. Too bad they're Deadheads. :tongue:

I try not to judge, but as much skill goes into making a great solidbody electric guitar, you can get an Artinger hollowbody for a fraction of the price. Even Paul Languedoc's guitars are significantly less. These are solid wood carved top and back guitars...the skill required is on another level. That said, I've never had any issue with Jerry's sound. Much of it, however, came from a Starfire, Strat, and a Travis Bean as well as a few Alembics and other custom made pieces.

Very cool article, thanks for posting.

I just know John Entwistle sounded killer on his Alembic

Tried one out in a store once - it was a used model in a guitar center back when they had a store in roseville, minnesota. It was interesting and well built. But even used it was as expensive as custom shop gibson guitars were. Also, the ergonomics were well thought out but it was obviously a custom piece for someone who had to sell and it had some weird vibe about it too. Too expensive for me but interesting.

My cousin grew up in Santa Rosa and has an MFA in music from Berkeley (as in UC Berkeley, not Berklee!) He worked for Alembic I think when he was in high school and has an alembic bass -- it's absolutely beautiful.

For some reason, I have always loved this one:
13114_featuredcustom.jpg

That was an interesting read. I don't think I want a 18K guitar that makes me a worse guitar player though...I really don't need that much help..

i'm surprised they didn't reference Jason Newsted (previously the bassist for metallica) in the article. he's one of the more recent players who used Alembic instruments regularly (at least he did at the time).

57807.gif

black71.jpg

He was mostly a Sadowsky and ESP

strange, i don't recall him being either. i do recall him playing a few different Alembic models, and wondering as a young, aspiring rock star what this "alembic" company was all about...

strange, i don't recall him being either. i do recall him playing a few different Alembic models, and wondering as a young, aspiring rock star what this "alembic" company was all about...

His Sadowskys were his primary touring basses. He did tour with a couple of Alembics and Spectors in the late 80's right after joining the band, but like all the guys in Metallica they had a warehouse full of gear. He's used just about everything under the sun, but due to the lighter weight the Sadowskys replaced most of the back line.

Someone once said back in the old days at the other place:

"I don't care if it's made of solid Entwood and polished with the nipples of buxom virgins, NO guitar is worth $18,000. "

Back