A visit to Willcutt = NGD and a return to Guild ownership :)

Aahzz

Habanero Evangelist
So, have been kicking myself for selling the 1980 D-40 I owned briefly last year when I thought I didn't want to play dreads any longer. Been looking at stuff online a LOT, while selling a couple Grand Auditoriums I hadn't played for months. Much of that time was spent on Willcutt's site, since they're a Guild dealer, and are about an hour and 20 minute drive from me. The others sold, so I made an appointment to head down there today. Right now, they're only open 11-3 on Saturdays for walk-ins, or by appointment. Even though they were open today, I made the appointment because you can specify three specific guitars you'd like to play and they'll have them ready. Glad I did, because it's a small store and most of their guitars are in their warehouse, so these probably wouldn't have been available if I hadn't. I requested a D-40, a D-40E, and a used D-40 Traditional. I expected I was going to leave with the Traditional, since it runs a grand higher than the regular D-40 and is theoretically nicer.

When I got there, sales dude Logan was just tuning them up. He'd tuned the D-40E, so that was the first one I picked up. Strummed an open E chord and knew immediately that one of them was coming home with me. Big, bold, lots of low end but very nicely balanced. Played a bit, continued to love the guitar.

Picked up the used Traditional. Strummed an open E again and knew that it was NOT coming home with me. Played it a short bit more and back into its case it went. I know why it's been sitting there for a while at a good price - there's no magic in that one.

Picked up the regular D-40, again started with open E and found that I had a decision to make. It also sounded great. All 3 played very well, so it was down to sound.

Right as I started comparing the 40 and the 40E, another customer came in looking for a D-40. He came to where I was, I invited him to join me. He was also initially excited about the used Traditional. He picked it up, played it finger style for maybe 30 seconds, then said "nope". He and I passed the 40 and 40E back and forth a bit - it was REALLY nice to have someone else to play them so I could hear them from out front! After a bit of that, we came to an agreement - he liked the 40 better, I liked the 40E better
upload_2023-5-20_13-58-13.gif
. The 40 was very lightweight, and had a big, bright voice - sounded wonderful for finger style. The 40E was warmer and deeper, and sounded great for strumming and accompanying vocals - which is what I do.

So, I had them install a strap button, was very happy that I don't have to have a pickup installed and wait for it, and I brought the D-40E home
upload_2023-5-20_13-58-13.gif

d40e1.jpg

d40e2.jpg

That looks nice. Guilds are nice guitars, but they are individuals. The ones I tried locally just didn't have it, but I heard one played last night that was like a dream.

Just changed the strings to my preferred D'Addario EJ16s, and now I love her even more. Haven't found her name yet, though (yes, I'm one of those people who names their guitars).

I can't believe how BIG this guitar sounds. Was just wailing away on her for a while, then picked up my Eastman E6D and it sounded downright compressed compared to the Guild!

HNGD! I changed back from aud. style to dreadnought a couple of years ago when I got my Taylor. I play it mostly unplugged but either way, I love the big tone.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Back