a fool and his money are soon parted

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
[ame="http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=672506"]What is THE best ultra-high end cork-sniffin' boutique strat pickup? - The Gear Page[/ame]

Ha ha. I like the guy that says, "Ummm... Fender."

I decided years ago that it's so much easier just to stick with stock. If the guitar sounds good, buy it, love it, and keep it. YMMV

I didn't recognize too many of those mentioned.

I've got a set of Tx Specials and some GFS pickups. That's as far as I'm going into that.

Hell, I can wrap copper wire around a freakin' magnet.

I didn't recognize too many of those mentioned.
That's the whole point. The best pickups are made by Buddhist monks who pass the wire through their digestive tract and then wind the bobbins with clenched ass-cheeks while painting mandalas with their toes. They make three a year.

I should register over there and see how long it takes me to get banned for being myself.

That's the whole point. The best pickups are made by Buddhist monks who pass the wire through their digestive tract and then wind the bobbins with clenched ass-cheeks while painting mandalas with their toes. They make three a year.

I should register over there and see how long it takes me to get banned for being myself.

...by the third post...:helper:

I had some contact with Don Mare when he was at Lace, and made those Hot Golds I still have in my Strat. Now he´s wiring a "Rosie wrap", which are supposed to mimic the style a lady at Fender had, who wired their pickups in the late 50s and early 60s. Sounds like magic to me; pickups can be very good, good or less good, but can´t give you a ticket to heaven. I got some vintage PAFs in my Les Paul-SG and they sound really good. But Gibson´s current stock pickups are quite good too, as is the Dimarzios I use.

Kinmans must be good, though. The sound Brad Paisley gets with his Teles, who often have Kinmans, makes me wonder if I should purchase a Tele. :embarrassed:

Last edited:
as far as "cork sniffer" or "snorkledick" goes I own a bunch of nicer gear, but up until 3 years ago most of it was being used to make my living. Most of these guys are too busy sniffing each others corks to learn how to play the shit they're buying.

Wait.....

People actually care what kind of pickups they have in their guitars????? :grin:

I've never even given it a second thought! :)

"whatever it comes with" is always good enough for me..... :embarrassed:

I tried changing pickups in one of my guitars and it ended up sounding worse than the ones that were in there. I thought it was my installation so I took it to a good tech and he said I installed them perfectly. He adjusted a few things and they still sounded like crap. It was an expensive experiement...I put the stock pickups back in and sold the others on Ebay at a loss.

I generally buy instruments that sound the way I want them to begin with.

My one exception is my 1979 Gibson The Paul, which has a neck pickup I've never liked (T Top) so at some point once I shake loose some extra cash for it I'll be getting a new set for it.

Back