GPOTD 4.7.22 NFS edition

tiger roach

Urban Bovine Knievel
The Sardonyx: Mind-blowing Guitar That Became John Lennon's Secret Weapon

127814_5WKu5ZExjVreHz4N_58886.jpg

The Sardonyx is, visually, an intriguing piece of gear. Equally perplexing, is the array of onboard effects and the amount of sounds that one can achieve with it. The guitar was, perhaps most famously, used by John Lennon to record his final album Double Fantasy. In fact, The Sardonyx was almost certainly the last guitar Lennon ever played. He was in the studio on the day he was fatally shot outside his residence (The Dakota). I’ve always found this guitar interesting as there has always been plenty of mystery and speculation surrounding it, but fortunately I was able to track down the guys who built it and clear up some of the misconceptions. The guitar was designed and built by a luthier from New York named Jeff Levin, and the complex wiring wizardry was done by my good friend, Ken Schaffer.

read me: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/art...0304?msclkid=2384ec67b5eb11ecbd2ffd12af5e9ab9

z9vm72hvyev8mb2nkcvs.jpg
tqlb5av23hln7ve4fejp.jpg

yfep46c6fnls7ov93uzd.jpg

In an era where the word Rare is thrown around far too frequently, finally a collectible guitar that is truly deserving of the word!

Only a handful ever made, (I have heard as few as 7 and as many as 20), this is an extremely rare and unique guitar that you may possibly never see again? This particular guitar was owned by Peppy Castro of the Blues Magoos and band Balance. Most of these went to famous musicians with the most notable one being owned by John Lennon, who may have made these very popular had he not been killed so young.

These guitars were
Custom Made in Matt Uminoff's Shop in New York City back in the 70s. Only a few guitars were ever made and 1 bass (which we also have for sale).
This guitar is 100% original and comes with all of the original paperwork, which explains how the electronics and guitar work. All hand wired, custom electronics and custom pickups made by Bill Lawrence specifically for this guitar.

This exact guitar was featured in the Jan. 2013 Guitar Afficiando , which is included with the sale as well as many copies of pictures of John Lennon playing his personal one and the guitar hanging in Matt Uminoffs shop back in the day.

(sorry already sold) https://reverb.com/item/15476298-sa...lack?msclkid=2388682eb5eb11ec92a993ece88e96f9

I remember reading an article about the making of Double Vision where the author said it looked like he was playing a car's roof rack...

For that kind of money I could buy a used Audi Q3 in reasonable condition. So no.

Historically interesting but I have no desire to own it and definitely not at that price.

That picture makes my skin crawl. There she is, still. Sitting mere feet away from him. I still haven't watched much more that an hour of Get Back.

Guitar is interesting tho.

That picture makes my skin crawl. There she is, still. Sitting mere feet away from him. I still haven't watched much more that an hour of Get Back.

Guitar is interesting tho.
Since they were doing Lennon/Ono recordings she kinda needed to be there this time...

As much as I admire John Lennon, I can't say that I've ever noticed anything particularly noteworthy about his rhythm guitar tones on Double Fantasy. AFAIK, none of the leads were played by John, and I'd be surprised if Earl Slick or Hugh McCracken used this odd thing.

And I know Peppy Castro isn't exactly a household name, but in my household we celebrate the guy's entire catalog. Okay... just the Blues Magoos portion of his catalog. Okay, just the first two albums and a bit of the third. But those are awesome. Mostly.

I have a number of Lennon "guitars", and I wouldn't buy that for $100. Saying it was the last guitar John played is speculation with no evidence.

Back