3D printed titanium bike

telecaster911

Kick Henry Jackassowski
http://www.designnews.com/author.as...ndustry_aero,bid_27,aid_272030&dfpLayout=blog

After a discussion with Stratasys representatives at the Pacific Design & Manufacturing Show about Trek's bike prototype, I discovered prototypes aren't the only thing being 3D printed for bikes. Final frames for a bike made by Renishaw have been 3D printed in titanium, and bike component maker Kappius uses EOS machines to produce complex metal end-product parts.

UK-based Renishaw says it's used its additive manufacturing (AM) technology to make the first ever 3D-printed metal frame for the MX6-EVO mountain bike designed by Empire Cycles. A seat post bracket was also produced with this method. The titanium alloy frame is 33% lighter than the previous aluminum alloy version, dropping from 2.1 kg to 1.4 kg (4.6 lb to 3 lb), and the seat post bracket is 44% lighter than its aluminum alloy version, dropping from 360 g to 200 g. This was made possible by using topological optimization technology.

As we've told you, this sophisticated software is one of the secret weapons behind successful use of carbon composites and other innovations in aerospace and automotive designs. In this case, it was also used to optimize the bike frame for the AM process by eliminating a lot of surfaces that would otherwise need support structures. As we've reported, these can produce a lot of waste material.

The titanium frame is also stronger, even though it was produced in sections and then bonded together using Mouldlife's adhesive. The frame and the seat post bracket were made on Renishaw's AM250 laser melting system, which is another name for laser sintering. The machine has a 250 x 250 x 300 mm build volume and handles stainless steel, tool steel, aluminum alloys, titanium alloys, cobalt-chrome, and inconel. The company also makes vacuum casting and injection molding machines.

Kappius Components had a different problem to solve: could their complex design be made at all? The small, specialized company makes its own designs for bike components that directly affect the ride, like hubs and drive assemblies. To tweak the iterations of its oversized hub design during development and get fast turnaround of dimensionally accurate parts, the owners tried EOS' direct metal laser sintering (DMLS) process. According to an EOS case study, ten drivetrain assemblies can be made in two builds on an EOSINT M 270 machine. The material used is heat-treatable maraging steel, which has excellent hardness and strength.

Click the image below to start the slideshow.

The complete MX6-EVO mountain bike designed by Empire Cycles, with 3D printed titanium alloy frame and seat post bracket manufactured by Renishaw.
(Source: Renishaw)
Related posts:

That's fascinating. It's a sweet looking bike as well, but I don't even want to know what it costs, seriously. I think the price for bikes has far more out of hand than the price for guitars.

I still know so little about how that works. I am just like, "Huh?" The idea of "printing" a mountain bike frame when I am used to the idea of tubes being welded by a person. Pretty amazing.

I still know so little about how that works. I am just like, "Huh?" The idea of "printing" a mountain bike frame when I am used to the idea of tubes being welded by a person. Pretty amazing.

There's a slideshow that you access by clicking the image and I think the fourth slide is the machine. The caption explains that it's a melter and the types of metal that it can work with. So it would imply that it highly alters the state of the metal to be shaped to the given needs. I wonder if it's full liquified or if they're talking more about it being more malleable. Given the nature of 3D printing with other materials I'm inclined toward the former.

These things should be housed in plexi or gorilla glass so we can see them in action. I care not about their trade secrets and patented whatnots. I want to watch the raw material turned into parts and then see how they're assembled. NOW!

The entire bike frame was built in sections with the seat post bracket on one build plate and fabricated in a single build. The titanium frame was then bonded together using Mouldlife's adhesive.
Renishaw-frame-sections.jpg

Renishaw made the titanium bike frame and seat post bracket on its AM250 laser melting system, a form of laser sintering. The machine has a 250 x 250 x 300 mm build volume and handles stainless steel, tool steel, aluminum alloys, titanium alloys, cobalt-chrome, and inconel.
Renishaw-AM250.jpg

The entire bike frame was built in sections with the seat post bracket on one build plate and fabricated in a single build. The titanium frame was then bonded together using Mouldlife's adhesive.
Renishaw-frame-sections.jpg

Renishaw made the titanium bike frame and seat post bracket on its AM250 laser melting system, a form of laser sintering. The machine has a 250 x 250 x 300 mm build volume and handles stainless steel, tool steel, aluminum alloys, titanium alloys, cobalt-chrome, and inconel.
Renishaw-AM250.jpg
So the "printer" molds the material, in sections, into shape, and then the sections are glued together, kinda like Trek used to bond their aluminum frames in Wisconsin when they built my old Trek 1200 (aluminum), back in 1988. That was just tubing that they cut and glued though.

I hear they are doing at least prototype jet engine parts this way so why not bikes. The 3D printing capability allows a prototype part to be quickly made and tested. I'm not sure that the actual production are 3D printers but it seems a great way to shorten the design cycle

Back