Zika virus.

Accutane. Fen-phen.

HAH! the brand name for rofecoxib is a banned word on this forum?? Is "V!oxx" a curse word in some language?
Vioxx was good shit. It's the ONLY thing that really made a dent in my arthritis. Just because a couple weak-hearted pussies went and keeled over, I have to suffer. Fuckers. Same thing with Metabolife... sure, it was essentially amphetamine, but that shit changed my life. I had energy, focus, my mood was profoundly better, I lost weight like a mofo and it stayed off the entire time I used it. As soon as they were forced to reformulate (also because of weak-hearted pussies), all of those benefits went away. I take 20mg of Adderall 3x daily, which is a FUCK TON, and it barely has any effect at all.

The whole process is whacked. Drugs that work get pulled from the market because of a fractionally minute chance that someone with a predisposition to heart failure kicks the bucket, but the psoriasis drug that causes anal bleeding, blindness, fits of uncontrollable diarrhea and random episodes of violent psychosis are perfectly ok.

Dafuq yo?

And Zika has arrived in Florida. We have 4 local mosquito borne infections in south Florida.

An interesting proof of concept, but their mannose/pH manipulation molecules require 0.2 mg/L concentrations, which is shockingly high, and I suspect that preventing normal mannose based receptor function and endogenous endosomal pH changes in cells is going to have considerable off target toxicity. I also look at their molecule and it looks very much "non-drug like" in form (huge, lots of chiral centers, likely a p450 nightmare), so I doubt it would be usable in humans. As a final kick in the nuts, not all viruses use mannose based receptors for entry, nor do they enter via a low pH mediated fusion event, so the title of a universal antiviral is a bit misleading.

As for the FDA business, the process is very slow, but it isn't like an idea for a new drug goes to some government office where the FDA sits on it for a decade....clinical trials take an immense amount of time and money, and it is best to have a govt. agency in charge of safety and functional tests, rather than the company that wants to sell the drug (who has an obvious conflict of interest). The ten years from phase I to NDA is a very active period of intensive research. Think of it as a vigorous testing of the safety and efficacy of a drug in a broad sampling of humans rather than what happens at the DMV backroom.
I came here to say the exact same thing. :wink:

Back