Zika virus.

lol. That was actually me one handing that tube opening. I can do it a lot faster and smoother, but I was a little freaked out by the camera.

http://cbs12.com/news/local/scripps-researchers-looking-to-cure-the-zika-virus

I'm the guy in the lab coat doing all the talking....

Please do not use this information to track down my address/phone number to screw with me for fun. I work with lots of regulated things, and the people who regulate them have no sense of humor. Things you may think are funny have to be reported by law and likely would investigated as serious potential threats. So please, play nice and just fuck with me here. That is still ok.

From the article "Now the lab is applying for several grants that will allow them to develop ways to replicate the virus."

Fucking shit! Tilsta is trying to get money from the government to make more of the virus. He must hate Brazilians.

Its amazing that an invention like the internet that has so much potential for the advancement of human knowledge and potential is in fact a vector for the worst pestilences of all - ignorance, hate, fear and greed.

RIP GJ

What's Lynda doing there broadcasting from some overgrown side road?

Conspiracy!

Did she spray you?

:embarrassed:

What's Lynda doing there broadcasting from some overgrown side road?

Conspiracy!

Did she spray you?

:embarrassed:

I have no idea. She came to my lab at mid day. I have no idea why she was in the park at 6 pm. She was actually really nice and much more 'normal' than she appeared on camera.

She didn't spray me.

http://cbs12.com/news/local/scripps-researchers-looking-to-cure-the-zika-virus

I'm the guy in the lab coat doing all the talking....

Please do not use this information to track down my address/phone number to screw with me for fun. I work with lots of regulated things, and the people who regulate them have no sense of humor. Things you may think are funny have to be reported by law and likely would investigated as serious potential threats. So please, play nice and just fuck with me here. That is still ok.

That was cool. Don't go doin' students with your new-found fame. :grin:

So the new conspiracy theory I just saw is that the outbreak of microcephaly isn't actually being caused by zika. It's actually due to some Monsanto larvicide called Pyroxyfen that Brazil has been putting in the water to try to kill off the mosquitoes that spread dengue.
My neighbor is actually a big dengue researcher; I'll have to ask her about this one.

This damn Zika business has ruined my week. I've been working 20 hour days since Monday. I actually slept in my office on Thursday. :messedup: Zika might actually kill ME.

As for all the conspiracy theories, none of them really make much sense to me. Pyriproxyfen has been widely used in the southern United States for two decades without impacting microcephaly rates....so it is hard to get around it causing problems in Brazil all of a sudden. A few days ago scientists found Zika virus RNA and virus particles in a microcephalic fetal brain. In another case study a woman with a normal ultrasound early on became Zika infected and then her fetus developed microcephaly, and again, virus was identified in the fetal brain. Not quite smoking gun territory yet, but highly suggestive results.

Last edited:
I can’t find a single legitimate news source for the pyriproxyfen claim. Just a bunch of crazy conspiracy sites that are linking to a report which presents only anecdotes to back its claims. And I’m not even convinced the group that supposedly released this report exists. It only seems to exist in the writings of Monsanto conspiracy theorists.

Last edited:
I can’t find a single legitimate news source for the pyriproxyfen claim. Just a bunch of crazy conspiracy sites that are linking to a report which presents only anecdotes to back it’s claims. And I’m not even convinced that the group that supposedly released this report exists. It only seems to exist in the writings of Monsanto conspiracy theorists.

They've moved on to Scalia assassination theories now.

I get to be on the local TV news on Monday to discuss research programs on Zika virus.

I should mention the whole thing was created by the CIA and Monsanto to spread the hidden agenda of the Freemasons.

I think this is a pretty good yardstick to determine that we have reached maximum hype.
Everybody hates the Freemasons until they are keeping the Ark of the Covenant out of Hitler's grimey little paws. Then it's all "oh thank you, thank you, thank you!".

Assholes.

Back