Yuengling Seasonal

Lerxst

spaghetti and blankets
IPL...Hoppy lager!
10-26-15-Yuengling-IPL-jpg.jpg

If you're a fan of the IPAs, you might like this IPL. Mighty tasty and plenty cheap. I've got a glass in my hand right now to start my holidays off right.

I tried another IPL and didn't care for it; I usually don't care for seasonal beers, either. If I can catch one bottle of this I'll try it, but wouldn't risk buying a six pack.

IPL is new to me, I think.

Now I want to track some down.

I might just pop by the teaching brewery and convince a kid to make some.

I've not tried that. My buddies and I used to buy cases of Yuengling when we went camping, but since I moved up here, they want way too much $$$ for it. (Kind of like Dogfish Head....they price that stuff up here like it was liquid gold, which it most certainly is NOT.)

Yuengling's black and tan was pretty good, as memory serves.

We have some pretty good local IPA's, so that's pretty much the kick I am on.

Right now, though, I am indulging in some 6.2% Long Hammer IPA from Red Hook out of Seattle.......tasty.

There's some other IPLs on the market; Ballast Point's Fathom is probably one widely available (though it's a 7%er so it's more like a DIPL/IIPL). Sam Adams had a Hallertau imperial pils & double agent out a while back. Sierra Nevada had one in the last beer camp series.

@Gary Blanchard did you have Hoponius Union from Jack's Abby? That's probably somewhat local to you.

Found some made up here.

"Just outside the valley of Creemore, where the Mad & Noisy rivers collide, so too do our brewers' imaginations. Their musings have concocted Hops & Bolts India Pale Lager, a riveting beer that bolts together the best of a lager and an ale, to build an intriguingly bitter, yet malty, hopped up brew. Left unfiltered & constructed with 5 palate crushing hops, the result is a pithy grapefruit bitterness on a foundation of sweet caramel malt, underpinned with a hint of nut and chocolate."

image.jpeg

Creemore Springs makes some good beers.

I'm going to get some after Christmas.

They had me on that one till "nuts and chocolate"...seems a bit kitchen sink but you never know till you try it. I'm curious to hear what it tastes like.

Coors brews a line of craft beers that are only sold in Colorado called Colorado Native. They brew an IPL. I have not had one yet but I do like their regular amber ale so I'll snag one if I see it.

I struggle with lagers. They usually just do not do it for me. I have seen some IPL's but have stayed away as I just don't get why I would reach for one of those if a good IPA is available. I might have to try one sometime just to see.

Last edited:
No thanks; no likey extra hoppy stuff. Smells and tastes like skunk piss. And, to answer the next question: maybe I have :embarrassed:.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of New Belgium's seasonal 'white IPA'. Sort of a soft wheaty IPA.

Coors brews a line of craft beers that are only sold in Colorado called Colorado Native. They brew an IPL. I have not had one yet but I do like their regular amber ale so I'll snag one if I see it.

It's awful, it tastes like sugar. Leave it to Coors to try selling sweet beer in the IPA state.

It's awful, it tastes like sugar. Leave it to Coors to try selling sweet beer in the IPA state.
I stand by my prior comment. If you want a lager, get a lager. I will order an ale. I do not see the point of a hoppy lager. Much like I do not see the point of an Imperial Stout. Stouts are awesome, but need not taste like someone poured vodka in them.

While up in 'sconny for there holidays I saw some ads for Leinenkugels IPL... Must be thing with large-ish regional breweries lately..

Back