Your First Good Amp

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
Mark started the First Amp and posted what his first amp and first good amp. So why not dedicate this one to first good amp.

My first good amp is a Mesa Boogie Mark IIB.

Mesa Boogie Mark IIB - S.jpg

I also owned a SF Princeton in 79 that I bought used. But during this era, low power amps were not highly sought after and were considered beginner amps.

I guess it depends on your definition of good :grin:

My first actual guitar amp was a Peavey Classic 50. It was good, but I don't miss it. The first amp I really loved was my Mesa Mark I.

Mine was a 100 watt Marshall Silver Jubilee half stack. I should have never of sold that thing.

I remember some of your posts about it.

I guess it depends on your definition of good :grin:

My first actual guitar amp was a Peavey Classic 50. It was good, but I don't miss it. The first amp I really loved was my Mesa Mark I.

Nice Chad....

Without detail, would "Proud" be a better term than good?

It is just like when one asks for a good cheap pedal or guitar or amp....:lol:

My '74 Twin Reverb, which I bought from a friend in 1985 for $150. It's a tank. A lot of folks bash the silver face amps, but it's got great cleans with tons of headroom, classic Fender reverb and takes pedals nicely. I moved it from California (where I bought it), to Texas and finally to Maryland. I don't plan on parting with it any time soon. Here it is, beer stains and all.

_Mzsktw-czljDxm2cUDYsD-s33S1Kew0ksZHMqHy5V5eOHG5dJah87dbL_e2o8MqctpSoHJKyPi5NhmEP3kb6K2k75fCm0pGB3s-_n6J4SBP887SpvUZXJO1M0ZCo22Hr5rvenSxMmruMWMbmJOxWazH_QkxLyYB7JOap0rBF5xTHlbtP4dlNFkQfnNUbPnWKv2Tua4AcPUUwwu0dkty1XEy_3Fr0LJT_SR2SxSZEGlNx0KUnpGN9GR5lbc18DYtZ_XXQ8luUbIcs49INRXJbcZPM-6jmDJhXGZrqOBsiF90w8bA7wSmKOoCFVXG3UGU4CFk4-BeAQn0HRP5aY0hynx4pVyXafpXRFDnJn1y0DHQBrdp6qYFUSJPdlhqI3tmd0d07FPWgUq1GqQEEAlPgSI0XiOy8D9w8QJajO5B99n8yW8hi5DnMvqrrAF0PvNiXFD38wX_LLSP9iJRMrVA_r9rQKPAHPvuJWNNBmQo1J4mE7aq3t9oHdyl0luxClH5LzsJlk8CetI5bkqx1_dmsBQ2m6_TurtU0OjCbsgOS4WNXRXqJqKFGqVF38limleUI7S64YjC7R2sGtRc-GEdtNTxweVpoEz3IkOfxToXUrGpLwbazSDh22ZC=w670-h894-no

I remember some of your posts about it.

Nice Chad....

Without detail, would "Proud" be a better term than good?

It is just like when one asks for a good cheap pedal or guitar or amp....:lol:

Nah, the question is fine as is. The Peavey was a "good" amp, just not one I liked. I never would have gotten it except I was playing bass in a band and I left that band to play guitar in another. A music store gave me an almost even trade for my bass amp so I got it. It wasn't the amp I saved my left over lunch money to buy it was the only giggable amp I could almost break even on :grin:

My '74 Twin Reverb, which I bought from a friend in 1985 for $150. It's a tank. A lot of folks bash the silver face amps, but it's got great cleans with tons of headroom, classic Fender reverb and takes pedals nicely. I moved it from California (where I bought it), to Texas and finally to Maryland. I don't plan on parting with it any time soon. Here it is, beer stains and all.

_Mzsktw-czljDxm2cUDYsD-s33S1Kew0ksZHMqHy5V5eOHG5dJah87dbL_e2o8MqctpSoHJKyPi5NhmEP3kb6K2k75fCm0pGB3s-_n6J4SBP887SpvUZXJO1M0ZCo22Hr5rvenSxMmruMWMbmJOxWazH_QkxLyYB7JOap0rBF5xTHlbtP4dlNFkQfnNUbPnWKv2Tua4AcPUUwwu0dkty1XEy_3Fr0LJT_SR2SxSZEGlNx0KUnpGN9GR5lbc18DYtZ_XXQ8luUbIcs49INRXJbcZPM-6jmDJhXGZrqOBsiF90w8bA7wSmKOoCFVXG3UGU4CFk4-BeAQn0HRP5aY0hynx4pVyXafpXRFDnJn1y0DHQBrdp6qYFUSJPdlhqI3tmd0d07FPWgUq1GqQEEAlPgSI0XiOy8D9w8QJajO5B99n8yW8hi5DnMvqrrAF0PvNiXFD38wX_LLSP9iJRMrVA_r9rQKPAHPvuJWNNBmQo1J4mE7aq3t9oHdyl0luxClH5LzsJlk8CetI5bkqx1_dmsBQ2m6_TurtU0OjCbsgOS4WNXRXqJqKFGqVF38limleUI7S64YjC7R2sGtRc-GEdtNTxweVpoEz3IkOfxToXUrGpLwbazSDh22ZC=w670-h894-no

If we can talk @Guitar Heel into putting an elevator, you could bring that to the barn next time :grin:

I love those if I have someone else to carry it.

My first amp, the Sano I posted in the other thread, was a good amp from all accounts. Excellent clean with no breakup regardless of how much volume you fed it. I had to buy a Boss distortion pedal to play rock, since there was no gain on the amplifier.

The first really good amp was the 1985 Carvin X-100B I bought after selling the Sano:
84_x100guitaramphead-large.jpg

After my crappy Crate 15 watt practice amp, I went through some others; a Peavey Bandit, Fender Hot Rod, and a red knob Twin. But my first one that was "good" for me was a Deluxe Reverb Reissue. It was a great amp that went well with my pedals, and I was just thinking the other day how I regretted selling it.

My first decent amp was a Randall RG80. I thought it sounded good, but I didn't know anything. A bunch of older better players in our town had them and so did my friend. They were a decent price, plenty loud and seemed to do well with my CE-2, DS-1, and later my Cry Baby.

The next amp I bought was a Fender Blues DeVille 212...still have it, but literally haven't plugged it in about a decade. I use my Mustang amp to practice/screw around when I grab an electric.

Always wanted a Mesa Boogie and a Matchless. Can't justify either now.

I guess you could call my Egnater Tweaker 15 and Fender Super Champ X2 amps "good".

I'd like something more at the "great" level in the future. That could be something from Dr. Z, Carr, Allen, or even Supro.

My first decent amp was a Randall RG80. I thought it sounded good, but I didn't know anything. A bunch of older better players in our town had them and so did my friend. They were a decent price, plenty loud and seemed to do well with my CE-2, DS-1, and later my Cry Baby.

The next amp I bought was a Fender Blues DeVille 212...still have it, but literally haven't plugged it in about a decade. I use my Mustang amp to practice/screw around when I grab an electric.

Always wanted a Mesa Boogie and a Matchless. Can't justify either now.

You'd be surprised at how affordable used Mesa's are. If you sold the DeVille, you could break even with a Mesa. Depending on the model of course.

My Musicmaster Bass amp would have been, but I was playing a cheap ass Kay bass with pickups that were only glorified refrigerator magnets so it was nowhere near loud enough for my metal band. For years then I only played through a Peavey TKO 75 bass amp. Right now I'm happy for what I do with my Kustom 12 Guage. Fantastic SS clean pedal board platform for the hobby room.

Back